bad chest for 5 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started on easter sunday with a chest infection was prescribed antibiotics and steroids returned to hospital 5 days later due to getting worse was diagnosed with pneumonia prescribed different antibiotics was very ill at home in bed for over a week returned to doctors not getting any better after 4 weeks was prescribed antibiotics again and steroids also suggested may be COPD so treating for that with 2 inhalers this was last thurs 11th may still very wheezy short of breath cant walk far only a few steps im getting scared now surely i should be picking up now any ideas please x

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Peumonia can take a while to recover from,  Have you finished your course of steroids and anti biotics?  If so and if you think your symptoms have not responded at all you need to go back to the doc.  If you are coughing up get another sputum sample tested.

https://patient.info/health/pneumonia-leaflet

Hope you are feeling better soon

• Posted

i have finished the antibiotics i got for pneumonia and had another course of Amoxicillon as i had a severe chest infection last week i have finished taking those tablets and have one day of Prednisolone left i have 2 inhalers i am using one daily and the other every 4 hrs im sure the tingly feeling im getting in my face hands and legs is lack of oxygen but dont no of anything else i can do x

• Posted

hiya  Helen,   all  i  can  say  is  keep   going  back to the  doctors.    im so sorry  you  are  so  poorly. 

i  hope  you  start  to  feel  better  soon. 

love  and   best  wishes      for  a  speedier  recovery       julie    xx

• Posted

i go to Doctors every week sometimes twice because i am scared but they just keep giving me more tablets and say rest the more i rest the weaker im becoming i cannot do hardly anything as when i do i start getting an awful tingly feeling in my hands legs and face feel as tho if i do anything at this point i will pass out x

• Posted

Perhaps you should ring the emergency if you are debilitated and think you are going to pass out.  But if you are managing to go to the doctors 1-2 times a week its probably not an emergency situation.  Just communicate to your doctor the symptoms you have mentioned here.

Perhaps make an appointment with the respiratory nurse also to be sure your technique when using the inhalers is correct.  The respiratory nurse can also check your oxygen levels.

• Posted

yes i am using the inhalers right i was at the doctors this morning just to take sputum sample in they would let me see a doctor as im no worse and no appointments until next tuesday 23rd May which i took on the understanding if i get worse they will see me before just told me not to expect to pick up in a few days as i have been very ill will take another 2..o 3 weeeks i wondered if there were any techniques to use or do to increase oxygen levels my chest is very tight today and still have tingling in hands feet and legs also swollen ankles just feel so tired x no nurses appointments available for 2 weeks x
    • Posted

Check with the BLF helpline or the helpline of the lung foundation in the country you reside, 
    • Posted

Thankyou for that i have read it and understand a bit more now will try a few things seeif it helps x

• Posted

I had a phone call from my Doctor earlier today she explained that i have had a very bad chest infection pneumonia etc and explained about all the symptoms i am still having she said that its all part of the recovery and can take upto 3 months to get back to normal i have some more medication to take for infection i have in my throat and gut she also explained the seriosness of how ill i was and the need to keep flu injections pneumonia etc up to date and try avoid hospital stays with the students i work with as thats where i probably got most of these from. i feel alot better having this all explained to me x
    • Posted

i am beginning to pick up my chest is much better i have now got 2 inhalers and have begun to walk a bit more each day i walked 1 mile today and 1 mile back slowly and rested a few times it took 2 hrs but no after effects at all in fact probably the opposite it made me feel alot better appeared to open the airways a bit more too x

• Posted

Good news helen.

You did well 2 miles round trip, if you find that too tiring to keep doing, maybe just try for 1 mile round trip am and 1 mile round trip pm.  That way you can rest properly in between and slowly build stamina.

1 mile round trip daily is 7 miles a week x 2 14 miles generally for people with COPD that is excellent smile  even 1 mile x 2 daily 3-4 times a week would be very good.  So well done keep up the good work but its important not to overdo it during pneumonia recovery period.  Do what you feel comfortable with and gradually extend that.

Later you may able to manage more so from excellent to superwoman smile

keep healing.

• Posted

Thank you i am not going out today until it becomes a bit cooler later and will have a short walk x

• Posted

sorry not been on here not been too good my ankles are really swollen dont seem to be able to do anything to ease them walking and elevating dont improve them at all i feel as tho my get up and go has got up and gone and supposed to be going back to work 2 nights a week on Thurs im not sure if i will cope x

• Posted

i have had very swollen ankles for a week now thought maybe when i get more mobile they would go down but dont they are worse than ever from just below the knee to end of my toes i havent walked much but did start back at work last night . i elevated them as much as possible x
    • Posted

If this is a new thing for you (swollen ankles) check in with your doctor.

• Posted

I am at the doctors tomorrow for a spirometer test and will discuss with them the swollen ankles they are not as bad as a week ago but still swollen and tingling in the legs i am still recovering from pneumonia which i started with at the beginning of April it seems to be taking an awful long time i am very tired all the time cant walk far without being breathless my chest still hurts on and off and a lot of shortness of breathi feel as tho i am using my inhalers an awful lot but need it x
    • Posted

Sorry to read all the problems your having i would also be scared. i have Emphysema changes and when i read on here problems people have it frightens me because i know i have all this to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.