bad day and CBT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just had first proper session of CBT today and was feeling pretty stressed about it, and feel even worse after it. I know what the therapist says makes sense, but if only it was so easy to retrain your brain to think the way "normal" folk do.

Anyone got good stories to tell from having CBT after suffering anxiety/depression for long time?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Bless u Hun not sounding good that u feel worse after cbt .. What did he say to u as u know I am currently waiting to start this xx
    • Posted

im just not confident that it will work
    • Posted

I think half of it is u have to believe it will I know it prob all seems like just words but maybe give it ago and see what happens it can't hurt can it . I'm starting to think the only thing that kinda works is mind over matter although that is really difficult isn't it .. Sorry that u are feeling bad x
  • Posted

Hi. I have done cbt a few times and I have to say it's super hard. You basically have to take no notice of your thoughts and don't apply meaning. The thoughts eventually go but you have to feel the anxiety that will bring. I must say you should give it a go. It's really hard but worth the results. 
    • Posted

Thanks socks, am totally committed to it, but our local NHS only offer 5 sessions of it, one of those being the initial consultation! Think may need pay for some private sessions to help with 20 odd years worth of anxiety to get round
  • Posted

The first week of my 8 sessions i did feel very emotional and panic attacks increased a little but only because it just seemed to bring everything to the surface i was trying to not think about...it won't do you any harm and it takes longer with some people to change their way of thinking. I think 5 sessions is not really enough
    • Posted

I'm having 12 sessions but you can have up to 16 if you need it. If you research on line there are self referral centres across the country which you can attend and it's free. . What are you having the cbt for if you don't mind me asking.
    • Posted

That sounds good, I cant find anything in my area. do you have a link at all? (maybe send in a PM)
  • Posted

It's hard isn't it. You feel daft telling a stranger about your neuroses. I wanted to run from the room on my first session, I couldn't grasp what she was asking of me. She kept trying to change tack;

"so what will we see that's different about you if you dont have anxiety?"

erm..I said well nothing because I hide it well anyway...I don't think she was the best therapist for me, I found her judgemental & it waqsn't what I thought it was. I bought myself CBT for dummies & have a few other books based around it. I hope your session work out! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.