Bad panic attack at work

Posted , 3 users are following.

Today has been a particularly bad day at work.

It started with my usual headache/neck pain and gradually got worse. I felt sick, hot, I couldn't focus on anything/anyone to the point where looking at someone directly really hurt?

It made me restless and irritable where I have to touch something or fidget to keep my mind sane.

I'm now home as I only work part time and I've got into bed as this seems to be the only place I feel safe right now.

I try to avoid social events and the thought of going out makes me feel sick and panic, it's taking over my life, does anyone else feel this way???

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been in your place too many times 😔

Sorry you are having a bad day. Trying to work feeling that way is horrible and you wonder if anyone notices... in reality we feel way worse than we appear to others. Sometimes I wonder how I've managed to keep my job. I found having someone to talk to helps a bit. I opened up to a close coworker and she is able to notice when I'm having one of those days and helps me through it. I know you feel safe in bed at home... I most certainly feel safer at home but have learned instead of getting in bed , find something to accomplish.... a load of laundry, finish a chapter of a book, anything .... just little steps that you can ask yourself at the end of the day... what have I accomplished today? Even if it's just walking to the mailbox... it helps to reflect on any forward achievement of your day wink

Hugs to you!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Ginger31734

I don't know why I feel safer at home but I do.

I guess when I'm not at home I panic more that I'm going to have an attack and I will embarrass myself in public.

It's a vicious circle because I stay at home to avoid the fear of being outside but then to keep myself busy and my mind busy I have to do stuff which might involve going outside.

Yesterday I had a reasonable day and was able to watch my son play football and I went food shopping but in the back of my mind I'm constantly thinking 'Am I going to be ok, ami going to have an attack in public'? It's taking over, I used to be a sociable person but now I'd rather stay at home then go out and I hate feeling this way it's really getting me down 😞

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Me too hun!!! Hey you went to watch your sons game!!!! That's wonderful 😊

How old is he?

Believe me , I do the same thing about bring out in public with the fear of how I'm going to feel or react!

Lije today, I'm off on Mondays and find myself sitting around the house thinking about what I could do but don't and I'm going to eat lunch with my daughter at school and have knots in my stomach!! I too used to feel I had it all together and not sure how I got to this point ...will it be like this forever?? I choose to think not but not sure how to end the vicious cycle 😔

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My son is 13 and it's soccer rather than football (as I'm from the UK)

Although I went and watched him I didn't enjoy it as I worried the whole time, I had a slight headache which brings on my anxiety (as I think my anxiety is health related)

I recently went on vacation to America with my family as we have family that live in Washington state, it was the best 3 weeks ever!! I didn't have any anxiety, no headaches, no neck pain just and nice free from anything 3 weeks, as soon as we got back (4 weeks ago) the anxiety started again brought on by any twinge or pain I had.

I'm currently on meds for a sinus infection which has subsided slightly but I'm still convinced its something terrible and life threatening!! I need help!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ughhh, I'm sorry!! I did the same thing to with vacation, felt great the entire time, not a worry in the world and then Bam ! Back to reality and every pain and twinge sets me off ... I've gotten better at telling myself it's only anxiety and it will pass but makes me mad as I feel I should be able to handle reality and day to day routines lol

You most certainly are not alone!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's definitely a horrible feeling.... I get the jelly legs every time and what's weird is when I feel it, I jump up like I'm getting ready to run 😩

Anxiety and panic is no fun at all lol

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, Laura. I understand what you're feeling. Just walking to the library this morning my heart was racing, because there were other people walking around too. It makes me so nervous for some reason. Occasionally it hurts to look at anything bright and I have to constantly move my legs or fidget in order to pay attention. My room is the only place I feel safe. Sure, I still get anxious in my room, all the time. But at least I'm alone and in bed. Honestly, I don't understand why these things happen. But please know that you're not alone with your feelings! 

Self-care is important. If social events make you anxious, try to avoid them. But don't let that anxiety limit your life either. Consider therapy, or maybe even medications to help you relax. 

Please feel better, Laura. I'll be thinking of you. 

Best, 

Nicholas 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Nick

Well I braved it and went to the cinema with my mum, at one point during the film I had this overwhelming feeling of wanting the get out. The cinema was packed which didn't help my anxiety atall but I took my trusty rescue remedy with me and had a few squirts and eventually I calmed down but I hated feeling that way, I used to enjoy the cinema now I'm beginning to feel like a prisoner in my own home 😞

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up