Bad penis smell

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I have a problem with very bad smell of my penis. Im pretty sure my hygiene is good. The smell gets better for a while everytime I take antibiotics so I guess some bacteria is causing it? I use to have digestive issues repeating for a few years now so I guess it can be related to it?

My question is. What bacteria can cause it and how can I cure it on my own? Im kind of embarresed to talk with my doctor about such a problem.

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi milnn, I am wondering whether you are an active person?  You should not be using antibiotics on a regular basis as what will happen is that your body will eventually stop gaining any benefit from them.  Do you discuss your using antibiotics with a doctor before taking them for each course you are taking? And, do you take ALL the antibiotics you are given?  I hope you are not self-prescribing and obtaining the antibiotics yourself?

In terms of the smell, you need to look at your hygiene practices.  This will depend upon whether you are also sexually active, and / or masturbate regularly.  For, each time you urinate, are sexually aroused, or ejaculate you must clean the entire penis with water only so that you are not creating a build-up of bacteria, particularly around the head and foreskin of your penis.

If you happen to be overweight, this will not help matters in your groinal region, you should shower everyday. AND each time you wash your penis, always ensure it is 100% dry.  If you are away from home and cannot use a towel, use tissue paper to remove as much urine from the end of your penis each time you urinate.  Keeping the smell to a minimum is helped by having exemplary hygiene practices, but, no soap, ever, on the head of your penis - only water and rub the area clean with you fingers with the running water ....

• Posted

Hi Wee Dugie and thank you for your answer.

I'm definitely not taking antibiotics too often. Maybe once a year when there is no other option? I'm always trying to avoid them because they are causing me a lot of digestive problems.

I am very active person sportswise. I'm not very sexually active for last year but yes, I masturbate. I also wash my penis as often as possible. 

The bad smells comes from under the head of my penis and it is also a little bit wet? But really just a little.

I clean it but after like 4-5 hours the smell is back. 

• Posted

Hi, just to add, I have an incurable form of Balanitis - so I have to be on top-form to keep my skin at the tip of my penis as healthy as possible.  It is hard to judge from minimal information, but I thought you may have been an active person.  On occasions, I often showered 2, or even 3 times a day.  I started shaving most of my pubic hair off, but I used to get a build-up of white skin in the area between anus and scrotum.  Long story short, I found because I was so active, and, eventually ended up with a chronic skin condition, that I had not been putting in place the necessary hygiene practices.

You need to be as clean as a whistle down there: this involves removing ALL liquids that become present at the business end of your penis.  This is why you need to wash with water after urinating [if not possible at the time, then use tissue paper] every time, and any other time fluids become present at the end of your penis.

I am also presuming you are uncircumcised?  In your original post you ask about bacteria.  There are good bacteria naturally present on an uncircumcised head of a penis - and if you are uncircumcised, you need to make sure that each time you wash your penis that you help maintain the natural activity of this bacteria by washing the entire head of the penis, AND making sure you are 100% dry so that unwanted bacteria are not encouraged to thrive.

And yes, as you mention, you can wash thoroughly, and, 4 or 5 hours the bad smell is back again.  This happens with me - as I say, the only thing you can do is practice impeccable hygiene practices.  I hope this all makes sense, and that you have a better idea of what it is you need to do ......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.