Bad reaction to mirtz-normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I took my first Mirtazapine tablet last night (orodispensable). I took it around 12am. I woke up at 2am with severe stomache cramping. I went to the bathroom,and my lips went cold and tingly,my face went tight and tingly and I couldnt keep my eyes or head up/open. I couldnt keep myself awake and it got to the point where my parter phoned an ambulance.

​Paramedics told me my blood pressure had dropped, and my temperature was lower than normal. My blood sugar was fine. I was told I could stay at home, but got given an emergency line incase it got worse. I went back to my bed and slept through until this afternoon. Ive woken up exhaused, my body is weak-especially my arms. I dont feel up to much and I am freezing cold.

​Is this normal? Ive been told not to take any more of the tablets and to go back to my GP on monday.

​Any feedback/comments/info/advice appreciated.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds awful.  I wonder what dose you started on.  I had a very bad reaction to cipromil few years ago, so they started me on 7.5mg of mirtazapine as a precaution.  I hope you can get to the bottom of this.  Sorry I cant be of any help.
    • Posted

Hello! thank your for getting back to me

?I was given 15mg but wont be taking again! hope it has worked for you!smile

• Posted

I think u have described fairly typical mitrazapine start up symptoms if u csn bear with it should settle in s few days
    • Posted

I don't think these are typical start up symptoms at all. Most people feel a bit knocked out and the sleepiness can last well into the next day, but it should not be as severe as the OP states.

?OP I agree, you should definitely NOT take any more of these tablets.

• Posted

The paramemdics called the out of hours doctor and im not to take anyntil ive spoken to my own GP on monday-hopefully they can shed more light onto the situation-thanyou for getting back to me!smile

• Posted

Yeah Im not touching them again,and ill be to see my GP on monday to find out why I took so unwell
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your terrible experience.

I started mirtazapine fine without any of those symptoms. I was tired but had increased appetite and put on weight. I felt really relaxed and worry free.

It wasn't until I came off and reduced too quickly that I got severe stomach cramps and abdominal pain. It didn't last long though and I'm fine now.

Worth reviewing things with your GP before taking more

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me! Im glad they worked okay for yousmile Im not taking anymore until ive seen the GP on monday as my blood pressure dropped to 74/54 when it should be 90/60 and i think it was the medication that caused it

• Posted

Hi Corrie,

What dosage were you on? I take 15 mg at night and haven't had any adverse reactions. It does help me sleep. I sometimes have trouble waking up, but once I'm awake I'm fine.

I also take 300 mg of venlafaxine which keeps my depression under control. I do have some side effects from the meds. My cholesterol levels are high and I have done parethesia. I'm happier than I've been in years though so I just monitor the side effects for now.

I hope your doctor finds meds that will work for you.

Good luck,

Phyl

• Posted

Hello! I am on 15 mg, for depression. I also take 40 mg propranolol for anxiety up to 3 times a day.

​Im glad it is helping you! I was given it to help control both my depression and insomnia. Unfortunately it appears I cant take this medication.

​Ill be back to the doctor on Monday and hopfully I can try something else and itll not make me poorly!

​Thank you for getting back to me its really helped me through this distressing day!

• Posted

No problem Corrie. My depression was the worst experience of my life. I worry about what I will do of my meds quit working for me, or I have to try something different because of my side efects.

Please let me know how things work out for you.

Good luck,

Phyl

• Posted

I was on citalopram 40mg, but they stopped working for me, ive already tried fluoxetine, sertraline also! Such a pain having to change meds, ill let you know how I get onsmile

Take care! x

• Posted

No that isn't a normal reaction to mirt. I'm not a doc but sounds like you had anaphylaxis shock. I have been on mirt for a few yrs and had the least amount of side effects compared to other meds I've tried. it isn't just given to really crazy people. it treats other conditions that aren't even for psychiatric reasons. I had anaphylactic shock once and it was so scarey. my throat closed up I couldn't breathe my facial muscles froze up and my leg muscles were just doing what they wanted. I could barely walk. thankfully all the hosp had to do was give me benadryl intravenously in 2 doses cuz the 1st dose stopped most of it but the 2nd dose completely stopped it and I was able 2 go home. And yes the best thing is to talk with your doc and get rest and eat as best as you can. But that is just my opinion and again I'm not @ doc. I hope you feel better and I'm surprised a moderator allowed the post that it is given to really crazy people. If that was the case it would only be given to patients that are institutions for life. My weight was down to 76 lbs from a different med and I'm 5'1 so now I'm a healthy weight and sleep fine. I hope you feel better. try and get rest the best you can and eat the best you can. unfortunately there are no blood test to say what med is best 4 you so you might have a trial and error so of speak to find the best med for you. all meds have side effects and not just psychiatric meds. I hope things go well with your doc appt. best regards moma s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.