baker's cyst and fluid behind knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had my tkr jan 2016 - my experience was similar to most vis a vis swelling and pain.  i was making good progress in my recovey and rehab except for a nagging problem of fluid behind knee which affects the calf causing it to constrict- in short it sometimes feels like a vise is gripping calf. This has become worse this month

in addition descending and climbing stairs has this month become very painful, like before the surgery.  

In short had i not had surgery in january my present day complaints would have led me to a surgeon.  He has not been very responsive; says it will improve... too soon

don't know

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm ss for the pain u are going thru. Even though the surgeon has been unresponsive I would go to another dr and see if there is anything that can be done. I did tkr left 3.28 and r 6.1. Im.still dealing with muscle spasms due to surgery on my r and pain but but it definitely is much better than before I have degenerative bilateral osteoarthritis. Gl i hope something can be done to help u

• Posted

Hi Joy .. I've had an ongoing issue with a hip bursitis since 5mths I'm now 11mths post op .. have to admit my surgeon altho he's the top one in the state just blew it off he's only concerned in his work and that my knee is doing what it's meant to be which thankfully it is.  So my dr & physio help with the bursitis.

I also suffer with stiffening of my calf have no idea why, I massage cream into it everynight and my physio works on it and dry needles it which helps it temparily.

Take care and best of luck with that knee... Tracey

• Posted

surgeon finally responded-  told me to take voltaren 2x day then 1x for 10 days

is that all?!!!

• Posted

I honestly don't know the treatment for a baker's cyst other than removal and I know they can drain fluid .. I'm guessing he's very reluctant to do either due to risk of infection as then you'd have to have your tkr redone sad  However, I know I find voltaren absolutely useless for me I so hope it works for you.  Let me know how you go... also have you googled about different things for your cyst .. I did with my hip bursitis after the injections didn't work and found that K-tape can help which I'm using at the moment and it is making a slight difference so I'm happy with that.

Take care... Tracey

• Posted

voltaren has never helped  he is reluctant to drain and has always maintained that it will improve with time-  meanwhile i cannot walk!

before the summer i did use the tape so will perhaps will try that again

these surgeons are something

now im going to replace a joint in hand- again everyone says no sweat- great results  honestl now i do know  but again have no choice

thanks

• Posted

Yep surgeons sure are something .. all they seem to be worried about is that their work is good and let your dr worry about all other problems that arise!  Would've been great to know b4 hand of all the issues that could happen!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.