Ban Mirtazapine? Thoughts?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having been on Mirtazapine for 12 months - and having read extensively about the drug and it’s effects both going on it - being on it and withdrawing from it - does anyone else agree it simply shouldn’t be prescribed? 

I’ve read the posts on the forums here too and we all seem to have such an awful time with it. 

I’ve just reduced from 30mg to 15mg my GP advised cold turkey ! “Sure you’ll feel truly awful - but get it over and done with “ 🤨

Just thinking out loud .... 

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At least the doc is honest that you will feel awful.

I am tapering down from 45....on 35 atm.

I hate this drug.

• Posted

I said the same thing about Diazepam, nitemare to come off in comparison to Mirtazipine.
    • Posted

Wow really ? Even worse than Mirtaz? That’s awful - are you on mirtazapine now u mean? 
    • Posted

I am on both.

Tapering mirt first

How was the diazepam worse ?

• Posted

In my experience, without a doubt. Diazepam withdrawal caused - anxiety, tremors, mood swings,insomnia, etc etc for at least 4 weeks.

Mirtazipine caused me 2 broken nights sleep & a sore stomach.

• Posted

Did you not have any side effects from comin off mitrazapine im tapering down but terrified of the side effects ive been reading about x
    • Posted

Sorry think im talking to you on 2 different conversations lol
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, I had 2 nights of broken sleep then I've been fine👍

• Posted

Sorry to be a pain how long did it take u too come off them. X
  • Posted

Yes Rob, it should never have been available in the first place.

Most of you will have been told there are NO withdrawal side effects when stopping mirtazapine.  Most of you will have been told antidepressants are NOT addictive.  

The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) have a system to monitor the effects and safety of medicines and their side effects.  This system is called the Yellow Card.  They receive thousands of reports submitted by the general public every year.  

I have submitted a yellow card report detailing the very nasty withdrawal side effects mirtazapine has left me with.  The more of us that report this drug, the more likely  drugs such as these will investigated more seriously.  

This is an easy process.  

The Yellow Card website is www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard

• Posted

Thanks Christine I didn’t know about that but I will do this thankyou - we all should - maybe post this on a new thread and get everyone on here yellow carding ?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.