Barium Swallow

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! So I have a questions. Because of the symptoms I've been having: back pain, left side rib pain, chest pains. soft stools, ect.. my doctor is sending me for a barium swallow X-ray. My question is, has anyone gotten one? How likely is it to show abnormalities in the stomach and esophagus? I wanted to go with the less invasive one for now, but eventually I'll most likely have a scope. I just want to know if it'll show anything abnormal going on. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes it will show Hiatal Hernia and other digestive problems but only if they are significant enough.
  • Posted

Stomach and oesophagus problems can be picked up via a barium swallow.  This was the standard stomach test before endoscopies were introduced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.