Barrets osaphagus .pains in lungs and feel like can not breath

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone .I have barrets osaphagus . For many years now .our am 29 . Wanted to no .can you get pains in your lungs from acid reflux. As I always have dull aches in my chest and little striking pains and when I breath always have a feeling like something on my lungs. Also at minute my throat sore .and every morning when I wake up I have to clear my throat .I am on omeprazole 20mg twice a day for last 5 years . And I feel like I have to yawn at times to catch my breath .

Any advice or people with similar condition. be greatly appreciated

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dean,

I sympathis and relate to your problems which are probably due to the refkux element of the acid reflux that caused the formation of your Barrett's.

Omeprazole may be good at reducing acid but not so good at reducing reflux: it just makes it less damaging. However, even Non-Erosive Reflux can cause problems. For me it was a chronc cough.

Reflux is a mechanical action so not easy to cure by medication. You need to try reduce it by following the lifestyle advice regarding not overfilling or compressing the stomach and letting it empty naturally before exercise or reclining. The alternative is reflux reduction surgery (fundopplication).

(I had the operation 8 years ago and, for me, it was the best thing I ever did.)

Read about reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website.

• Posted

Hi Barreets,

When you say " letting it empty naturally"  You mean to wait 2-3 hours before doing any exercise?  Can walking be considered an exercise?

Thanks

Jose

• Posted

Yes. We mean not exercise that will compress, tip or shake the staomach contents.

Walking is an excellent form of exercise that will actually assist peristalsis from the stomach. As the old adage says, "After supper, walk a mile!"

• Posted

Hi barretts .thanks for your reply .I no I have constant miver with .cough .mucus. but lately always got pains in lungs and feel as if lungs being squashed . I have barrets .also they said I had silent reflux .

Been omeprazole a long time now .I don't no Wether to have a change.

I am starting a diet today and eating really clean and going to gym .see if it helps and have bought a new pillow for night time so I'm propt up .just drives me mad . I have thought about the operation you have had but because I was 29 .didn't no Wether to go through with it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.