Barrett osaphagus . sore throat problem and and tongue

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I have posted a few times before . But I am 29 have Barrett osaphagus and osphagitis . Ibs.

But recently I have had a couple of weekends out on the beer which I no is not good . But my throat is so sore now and feel like it's closing up all the time and can not swallow .my tongue is coated in thick white with little bumps on it. My stomach is constantly bad .

I have recently joined the gym to start exercising again even though I am not un fit .I am not super fit either .but I have noticed since over the Christmas period of eating and drinking alcohol .I do think feel good at all and my throat is unbelievable .

I am putting this down to acid.

I am currently on 20mg omeprazole twice daily.

I am also gluten allergy and lactose intolerance.

.I just get worried as my grandads has Barrett and he has just been given 4 months to live with osaphagus cancer.

Thanks for advice any one

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dean,

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear the news of your grandad, it is such an awful disease.

Like you I have been diagnosed with barretts esopagus / underlying barretts at quite a young age (32). I'm on lansoprazole 30 ml daily with annual endoscopies to monitor it.

The lansoprazole controlled my symptoms until I went away recently having a lot of carbonated drinks, alcohol daily and a bit of spicy food. My throat felt like it was closing up too, it was awful! Since I've been back and have changed my diet the symptoms have got much better. Unfortunately the doctors don't tell you this and just say keep taking the pills you will be fine.

My doctor also said having barretts is a bit like smoking it increases your risk of getting cancer but doesn't mean you will. I hope this is some reassurance to you as I know your worries too.

Hopefully someone will also be able to give some reassurance who have more knowledge on this.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian thanks for reply . Appreciate this.

Yea I have been the same the last couple of weeks .drank and eaten wrong foods. But now my throat that bad can hardly swallow food. Worries me a bit to be honest. And does anybody no if being on omeprazole cause long term damage. As I have been on them since I was 24 years old. I am changing my life around now with food and not having alcohol . But my doctor told me the odd drink won't be much harm .just don't drink a lot. I am not due a camera till late summer this year. But sometimes think that 2 far away .

Thanks

• Posted

hi dean, prop up your bed at the head board with books, bricks....whatever works for you. create a 4 inch incline in the bed. or sleep on a lazy boy. by the book by koufman titled dropping acid. don't lay down until 3 hours after eating or drinking. bend over only using your knees. changing your diet and behaviors is imperitive. if you exercise try to do it in the morning when you wake up. meaning before you eat. this is no time to ignore your lifestyle. have your grandpa do the same. we are hoping he can recover. 
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for the advice. These are things I will do for sure. Just need to really listen to my body and do the things I'm supposed to do . As barretts worries me . And I don't no what is going on inside my body. And do you no about long term omeprazole if they damage body as I have been on the for around 5 years now
  • Posted

Hi Dean again I'm worried about Barretts too but have been reassured by two different doctors not to worry and keep taking the medication and it will be monitored for any progression. I'm not sure about the long term effects of a ppi. I am seriously considering having the surgery to treat my hiatal hernia and having "the wrap" to control my acid reflux. Was this offered to you being young?
    • Posted

Hi pal . I didn't get it offered in a way but they were talking about it last year. But since then not heard nothing. But since my barretts flare up . I'm just trying to change my lifestyle. I am at the doctors tomorrow so going to have a talk about ppi see what long term they are going to do .but at the same time we need them for acid control. I may look into the surgery but as being young to have barretts would like to try and Co trolley myself. But find it hard to .

• Posted

Hey mate I hope you get on well at the docs tomorrow let us know how it goes. I honestly think the best way is to control it by diet and meds. The doctor made me think it can be controlled by just the ppis but I've learnt you need both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.