Bee sting

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was stung by a honey bee earlier today while out running errands. I spent time looking around for tweezers, so didn’t pull it out for 5 minutes (later learned it is best to scrape out not pull). The stinger didn’t come out and had worked it’s way in pretty well. When I got home, I used a clean needle to try to get the stinger out, but husband said it seemed I was making it worse and I should leave it. Not sure what the next step should be as it is still swollen and sore. Do I leave it and let my body work it out? Or should I give the needle another go? Apply a paste?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Bee stings are horrible! I once got stung on my hand and pulled half of the stinger out and the other half stayed in. It hurt whenever I poked it or moved my hand - is this the same as yours? Redness and swelling is normal and will go down just ice it. If it’s deep i’d leave it to naturally come out (I did that and was also advised to) but if you get additional symptoms such as struggling to breath and signs of anaphylactic shock then call 999/911 immediately. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Yes. That sounds the same. When I pulled it out there was the thinnest sliver of a stinger, but I could see the rest still in my finger. I will wait it out then. Only symptoms are the swelling hasn’t gone down in my finger and it is sore. I will keep icing it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.