Been dealing with severe ibs cramp for 10years +

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m 20 years old, I was diagnosed with ibs at a very young age, around 8/9years old.  I’ve been dealing with it alone sines then. I have sever flare ups that cause a knotting feeling in my belly and constipation, I’ve tried paracetamol & ibroprofen to help with the pain but it doesn’t touch it, I’ve been back to my gp once about my ibs and they gave me peppermint capsules and Buscopan that also didn’t ease the pain. These craps can last up to 4 days straight meaning I may not even go to the toilet for 4 days. I’m on holiday at the moment and I’m currently having an episode, I’m in severe pain but I don’t want to go to the hospital because I feel there is nothing they can do and it would be a waste of time. I’ve tried drinking calomile tea to sooth my belly but that hasn’t done much, is there anything anyone can recommend me? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Cocodamol might help the pain but they may make constipation worse. Sounds like you need a laxative too. I find the most effective thing for cramps is buscopan 4x a day combined with peppermint tea and a hot water bottle on my stomach
  • Posted

Hi Shannon - first, I want to offer my sincere sympathy to you.  I've been going through what you have described for the past two years.  You are right about the hospitals (At first, I thought the symbol 'H" stood for Help, but now think it stands for Hell! - a small attempt at humour here.

My only advice, and this is from personal experience, is to find a doctor nearby.  I did this while on holiday - I was in horrendous pain, and desperate.  Perhaps I was just lucky, but this doctor prescribed a combination of Clonzepam, (0.5 mg), as well as Dilaudid - 1 mg, and Pregablin, 75 mgz.  This is for the horrendous pain, and it did work.  I was shocked, thinking this physician must be a quack, but, being desperate, I took it and it worked.

For the constipation, (same as you described), I was prescribed Constella, and not only does it work VERY effectively, but seemed to have no after effects.  Oh.. don't go anywhere after taking Constella.  Not a wise choice.  I was given the 127mcg capsules (the higher dose has more traumatic results.  It is a new drug on the market, and I took it in desperation.

This combination DOES work.  Nothing off the counter, or teas helped me at all.

I'm also looking into Medical Marijuana, which my family doctor recommends as being better than taking pharmaceutical drugs.  

My thoughts are with you, and please contact me if you have any further questions.  This may be of some help, although, as we know, everyone is different. This is a horrible situation to be in.  I have stuck to the low food map diet, and tried others, barring starvation.  

Please, do see a doctor - I was very wary to do so, but it did work out.  My hospital visits have been horrendous, and such a waste of time.

Take Care.. my thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Hi Shannon - I would suggest finding a doctor for a prescription drug - definitely not the hospital.. (from my experience, it has been such a waste of time).  I have IBS, and have been trying to find a drug that really works, but prescription drugs do relieve the pain incredibly but only for temporary relief.  

• Posted

Hi Shannon,

I'm sorry to hear that,

Ibs is something most people suffer from, and there is not any specific medicine to make the symptoms disappear completely and if so it would be just temporarily,

You are still too young,

and im certain you can control your ibs by having a healthy diet .

Shannon, if you ask me, I suggest you stop taking medicines they won't help you but over time they could possibly cause other problems, in your other ORGANS of your body.

Be careful about what you're prescribed with,

OR at least have a thorough serach over the internet on their side effects in the long run.

Don't get anxious for your problem, I also have severe Ibs and I've found out by experience that trusting medicines has just a temporary effect.

From now on, more patiently, try different foods and make a list of foods you are allergic to and the ones you are less allegic .

?Ur diet is the most important way to save you from this situation.

Find the righ foods , the ones that you see have better effect on your intestines's function and make ibs symptoms more controlable.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.