Been depressed since heart op

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all just found this site , so nice to know I am not the only one feeling anxious / depressed. The dr has just prescribed Mirtazpine & after reading all these stories I. Am a bit concerned about taking it , any advise , thank you

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi RoseMarie, 

I'm sorry you've been dealing with depression since your operation.  Did you ever have a problem with depression before the surgery?  Does your depression seem to be about anything or does it have a life of its own?  The reason I ask is that you went through a major procedure complete with anesthetics, and were you put on antibiotics at any point?  All of this can throw a body into depression, and taking an antidepressant that artificially raises neurotransmitters and causes the brain to push back for homeostasis by modifying itself is an extreme step to take.

Antibiotics have been known to trigger emotional disturbances.  So, I think it would be good to know more about your history.

• Posted

Hi Betsy 

no I wasn't suffering from depression before op, unfortunately I didn't know I had a heart problem , so was rushed to hospital in December as couldn't breathe , after tests they found out I needed a new aortic valve , so had op 23 Dec , nice to be in ICU Xmas day, so it has all been quite traumatic . I was on antibiotics in January as had a chest infection . Thank s for replying x

• Posted

I'm sorry you had to go through that.  Some antibiotics, especially the ones like cipro, are known to really mess with people mentally, but antidepressants are NOT the solution as they modify your neurons and this sounds like something that might have a physical cause.  Thyroid is another one to look at.  I'm just cautioning you because I have learned of people being thrown on ADs willy nilly and then it turned out there was a physiological reason for the depression such as hypothyroidism or the antibiotic. All avenues need to be investigated before throwing someone on ADs, because they are very powerful and do change your brain when on them for more than a few months.  Do you remember which antibiotic you were on?
    • Posted

Hi Betsy. Was in amoxlyn . I take a tablet for my thyroid low dose 50

Thank you so much for your advise really appreciate it . Rose X

• Posted

I'm fascinated by this stuff, like a detective, so I hope you don't mind my asking more quesitons.  When were you found to be hypothyroid?  Has your level been checked since the surgery to see if the level of supplementation is right?  
    • Posted

Gosh can't remember been quite a few years that I have been on it. No not had my thyroid checked since op . Feel free to ask X
    • Posted

Maybe that would be something to look into before taking the pills :-)

You've been through a scary time at any rate.  Do you have depressive thoughts or is it a general apathy kind of thing?

• Posted

Morning Betsy , no don't have depressive thoughts , just feel down in the dumps x
  • Posted

Hi Rose

Sorry for your suffering.  From what I've read of your posts, it doesn't sound like you are clinically depressed, anxiety, insomnia, feeling you can't cope, don't know how you can cary on etc.  Ive been on Mirt' since desperation hit over a year ago, it worked well for me but I was in a terrible state with chronic insomnia.  Mirt' is very powerful, I wouldn't take it if I wasn't desperate (knowing what I know now) ~ if as you say you "just feel down in the dumps" maybe you could heal that without medication?  

Whatever you decide, I wish you well, and hope after the trauma of heart surgery you can move forward to a better place.  x

• Posted

Hi Calmer 

thanks for replying , I do feel anxious a lot of the time & can't cope at times , but I do sleep ok thank goodness . Not taking it yet so afraid of side affects 

surgeon did say it will take 12 months till I feel right seems like forever at the moment xx

• Posted

It does sound like sing a sledge hammer sinario but only you know how bad the anxiety is ... maybe try some meditation?  A lot of the ladies on here turn to meditation, and CBT is a very positive therapy.  Are you UK?  I am x
    • Posted

Yes I am in Devon , am having counselling & acupuncture massage today which was good , would rather do that xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.