Been feeling extremely ill since April and feel like it's getting worse... any thoughts?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my first time doing anything like this so here it goes... been reading through these quite often cause it helps me ease my mind and hopefully I may get some answers by posting my own situation. I'm a 21 year old male and back in April I went to the hospital with very bad chest pain on the left side. They did and EKG, blood work, chest X-ray and basically summed it up as pleurisy and sent me on my way with ibuprofen saying it'd clear up in a few days to weeks. Well a month had passed and I was still dealing with the same chest pains and they were stay fairly the same. So I saw a cardiologist and they did another EKG as well as a stress echo cardiogram. All those results came back good, which is great news but still lots of pain. Multiple family doctors and ENT docs. All of which there tests and observation came back good. Ive been to the neurologist and he ran NCS and EMG. Both with cane back normal. I've had MRIs done on my brain and spine which both came back good as well. I've Been to MUSC and didn't get much out of it as well as another cardiologist for a second opinion which came back good as well. I am seeing a internal medicine doc and we did a CT scan of my chest which came back negative. I've done blood work dozens of times here in the last few months and every time it comes back good. Apparently I am as healthy as an ox but don't feel it in the slightest. My symptoms right now are chest pain usually on the left side but has moved periodically to the center and ride side of my chest. Ive backpain on the opposite side of the chest pain as well. I have headaches that feel like I have a band around my temples. My jaw as well as many other muscles feel fatigued on and off as if I have been in the gym. I have random aches and pains (left arm (top), forearms, back, chest, stomach, lower back, hands, feet) throughout my body (sometimes burning pain) and tingling in my hands/feet occasionally . When I stand I feel very lightheaded/woozy like I could fall over and my calves feel quite tense or fatigued while standing. Feel better  immediately  when lying down from a lightheaded standpoint. The wooziness or floating feeling feels like it could bring me to the floor at any second and is one of the worse symptoms aside form the chest pain. My heart rate jumps all over and I get the sweats and chills randomly. I've been trying various pain medications and anti inflammatory and anxiety medication and nothing seems to help. It's just going on 8 months now with this and it's starting to scare the hell out of me. Everything coming back good at the various doctors is great news but I'm ready to get out of bed and get back to my life. No doc has straight up told me it's anxiety and i understand that i am anxious considering the stress of not knowing why I feel like s**t. I just have a hard time believing that anxiety is the sole cause of all this. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if u have any further questions I'd love to answer. I may post more of I remember some things that slipped my mind. I'm just ready to be done with all this pain and feeling physically terrible and get some damn answers!

Thanks to all who respond in advance. It's greatly appreciated. ????

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clay, so sorry you're going through this. It's very scary. If the Docs aren't finding anything, Then it just may be anxiety. Anxiety has such a wide range of symptoms that resemble every horrible ailment. I wouldn't give up trying to figure it out. I truly hope you find the answers to help you feel better. Prayers

• Posted

Going to keep digging to get to the bottom of it. Thank you for taking the time to read it. 
  • Posted

Hi Clay, 

Jeez, sounds like you’ve been through it I’m sorry. I’m no doctor and can’t help diagnose what’s wrong, but you’ve had such extensive tests in so many areas of health as well as a consensus among your doctors that you are healthy, so I’m wondering what’s wrong as I know you are. Anxiety really can manifest itself in terrifying and physical ways, and maybe you should talk to a doctor about the potential of a root cause of anxiety. Hang in there 

• Posted

Hi. I can relate to all of your symptoms. Anxiety produces such strong physical sensations that it can convince you that you really are about to have a heart attack/stroke or any other number or medical emergencies. My chest gets so tight and sore that I'm sure "this time it's definitely a heart attack". I, like you, had every medical test under the sun and I was given the same answer: that I'm as fit as a fiddle. I currently take meds for anxiety but they're not proving to be very helpful. I've decided to try mindfulness to see if I can change the way I react to even the smallest of twinges in my body. Hope this helps 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.