Been getting severe back pain along with cramps at night. urine has a bad smell

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wondering if anyone has noticed a change to the smell of their urine when confronting ckd associated with diabetes

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

jojomac, have you taken a urine specimen to your surgery for testing?  A UTI can have a bad odour, and if it is a urine infection and it is left untreated it can spread to the kidneys and could cause back pain.
    • Posted

Forgot to add, meanwhile drink plenty of water to flush through the kidneys.
    • Posted

Gonna make appointment for urine and blood test tomorrow. I had thought about uti which I've had a long time ago. Then started hurting bad enough last night to make me start looking at info. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Could just be simple cystitis.  Cranberry juice is found helpful by many sufferers.  Do let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm only telling from a personal aspect. I had bad smelling urine, and back pain and what felt like cramps. I had a diabetes check and was borderline,

my gp did urine sample, all ok. He then suggested it might be simple dehydration for the smell so we worked on that first and after increasing my fluid intake the smell went away but I still had back pain so we tried painkillers, no anti- inflammatory obviously and I still had back pain so went for an MRI and have prolapsed disc and a couple of other problems and after taking meds feel much better. My point is don't presume back pain etc is links to Ckd. I

• Posted

Forgot to mention am recovering from third spine surgery. This is the second one on my neck. The lower surgery from years ago collapsed and healed wrong so I deal with a lot of chronic pain from that. This pain is different. Higher up my back. I just finished a couple bottles of cranberry juice a couple weeks ago and other juices that should be keeping my pot levels up. I'm sufficiently worried enough now not to wait on regular appt and will be calling Dr tomorrow to schedule some tests. Thanks everyone for the input

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.