Been off citalopram 7 week can't stop crying

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi after being off citalopram 7 weeks my mood has dropped and am very weepy could this still be withdrawal?? The side effects were shocking on cit and don't want to go back to it fluoxetine and sertealine didn't suit me either ..has anyone tried a different family of ad s and had success

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It very well could be withdrawal or The symptoms could just be you truly have an imbalance and need the medication, how long were you on for? I had buspar with the cit but that's anti anxiety med and not super sure how it would effect your mood. So I can't comment on other ADs also how did u come off cit? Slowly or not so much? As that makes a big difference in withdrawal symptoms also

• Posted

It would be easier to answer yoyr question if we know what dose you were on and for how long and how quickly you tapered off ?
    • Posted

Was on 40 mg at the end but never settled on a definite dose doc kept upping but anxiety just got worse tapered down really slowly
  • Posted

I was on Cit for 7.5 years. I was on 20mg most of the time, and the side effects were: high blood pressure, tremor, blurred vision and anxiety. Once I realised that these were the side effects and not the CFS I had been given it for, I  started reducing.

It took me 3.5 years to get  off it, The first year I got down from 20mg to 13, the second year  I got down from 13mg to 9, the third year 9 to 4 and this year I got off it. I took the liquid form this last year in order to reduce the dose  accurately.

I have been off it (hooray) for 4 weeks, but am still suffering from tearfulness, anxiety and exhaustion.

• Posted

Hi Isobel,

I've gone through similar as you. My gp had no idea about what she had prerscribed in that, she was uneducated about how to withdraw from drugs she had prescribed. I finally found a gp with proper training and still wiling to learn new things. She agreed to give me the citalopram drops and at last I feel I have a real solution to get off it. I've gone from 20mg to 10mg on a 2 mg per month reduction (actually 1mg every 2 weeks) I think this time I will have a real chance of finally getting of citalopram. I think gps shouldn't be allowed to practice unless they are fully aware of drug withdrawl for what they prescribe.

• Posted

I just think that's the side effects from being depressed. I've been on them for nearly 13 years but have stopped taking them for about 4 weeks.

I like you feel exhausted almost the time... but I felt like this when I was on them. I feel weepy and emotional when watching TV programmes but at least I don't feel so numb as I did whilst on them.

• Posted

Hiya kerry. I'm on day 8 of stopping citalopram cold turkey....not advised but what I did. Been on anti depressants for 15 years.

My moments come and go.

On 5thp and wondering if anyone else has chosen this path. P.s. these are not to be taken with any other drug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.