Been off Lamictal/Ativan 2 months and still a living hell!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I've come here to hopefully get some tips, advice anything from others suffering at the hands of Benzo/phsyc medicine withdrawals. There doesn't seem to be enough evidence on your body experiencing debilitating side effects when stopping benzos and phsyc drugs. In fact, I've seen so many docs for my side effects and they all believe it's "depression" no way it's withdrawals despite Internet research stating up to 90 days Benzo withdraws and up to 2 years post acute withdrawals. I am finally seeing a ND Thursday, but I am in need of any insight from anyone else experiencing this hell.

I tapered about 8 months from Lamictal and 3 months from Ativan. I was originally put on Lamictal after my mother's death 6 years ago and got off of it fine. Decided to go back on in 2012 and had a slew of eye issues up until 2014 promoting me to taper off. I was at 400mg. I was given Ativan shortly after 2012 for sleep due to Lamictal. I never had anxiety or panic prior to this. I was under a lot of stress after her death and the phsyc was let to believe I teetered on mood disorder possibly bipolar related.

Anyhow, my last dose of anything was 6/10. Since then, I've been in the ER 4x hospitalized 1x. Experienced insane insomnia, panic for hours, I couldn't walk for a week or so, muscle spasms, migraine headaches that last days, irritability, crying, tightness in chest so badly it's hard to breathe all day long, winded just to walk to the bathroom or shower, eyes are so sensitive to light they hurt amongst other horrible side effects. It's been over 2 months and my anxiety is steady all day. It's mainly the breathing, I have an actual pain in my chest most days. Im so tired and huffing and puffing to do anything anymore. I still have days long headaches, with muscle spasms.

I started taking supplements from a program called "The Road Back Org" which is all natural supplements but im taking the max of everything and still having bouts of anxiety daily all day and feeling sluggish, fatigued worn out. It's a blend of passionflower and tart cherry for anxiety.. And vitamin k, d, e, fish oil etc for the sluggish, low energy etc. Any help anyone can provide I greatly appreciate it. Mentally I have been just fine since quitting the drugs and don't want to ever get back on them but man I wouldn't wish this hell on my worst enemy and the worst part is how uneducated doctors are to these lasting side effects. Thank you in advance to anyone who listens and responds.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Chrissy can I ask you about Lamictal reason being my psychiatrist is letting me have it next month when I see her as I asked for it after doing a lot of reading up about it. You mention something about it and you sleep did it stop you sleeping..I ask because being bipolar myself my sleep is atrocious although I think I would still give it a go as my low mood is worse? Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Maureen,

I know in the beginning it affected my sleep which is why my phsyc put me on Ativan. It affects everyone differently though. Just be careful with it. It's not a good long term mood drug. You will eventually have to switch as it will stop working as it did with me. Good luck!

• Posted

I got offered Lamictal in December, but for seizures rather than for the psyche effect. I've not taken it though due to how many stories there are of the horrendous side effects. Reading this has put me off even more!
    • Posted

Hi Howll,

It's supposed to be great for seizures, but it's a beast to stop taking. I ended up hospitalized and I did an 8mth taper from 400mg. Just be careful and do your research on what will best help you. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.