Been on citalopram 20mg coming up for 7 years..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm looking for some advice.

I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for coming up to 7 years in Easter time. I started at 10mg after suffering a break down and bad anxiety and panic attacks.

In the last few months I've been dealing with the break up of my long term (6 year) relationship which has of course caused me to feel down and unhappy, however in the last few weeks I've found out my ex is now with someone new. This has triggered off my anxiety massively, I have that constant knot in my stomach, the sinking feeling when I wake up of a morning, struggling to finish a full meal and generally just feeling really negative.

I've been contemplating going back to the doctors for a chat, I'm not sure if this is something I should just try and ride out or act on it before it triggers another horrible breakdown.. also wondering wether because I've been taking my meds for so many years now maybe they're not having the effect they should any longer?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.

This all sounds like normal emotions to me. You are bound to be upset by what has happened, anyone would. By all means go and speak to your doctor but it's more then likely something you need to ride out. It's a horrible feeling, I know, and it will take some time for you to get over the break up.

if you do feel yourself getting worse, get an appointment sooner rather than later.  

Hang in there, you will feel good again xx

• Posted

Agree.  These are your normal emotions and you're bound to have some anxiety etc rear its head again in difficult times like this.  Your meds are certainly still working - they don't stop.  You're bound to be having an emotional time at the moment.  

Personally I'd stick it out on the meds and do go see your doctor though if you need to.  I think to change meds at this point could only add to your turmoil due to withdrawl and start up side effects - something you don't want at the moment.  Even upping your Citalopram isn't going to dull the pain as they're no quick fix.  Maybe your doctor could prescribe something to take the edge off temporarily though.

Do you have friends or family you can get support from?

• Posted

Hi Kate thanks for your response.

I think you're right I think I just need to accept it for what it is and what I'm feeling at the moment and just try my best to ride it out.

I do have good family and friends around me but they're beginning to loose patience with me because they can't understand why I can't just pick myself up and move on and why it's having such a big affect on me, I think they feel as if I'm not helping myself in this situation but if only it were that easy. However I think this is common with all depression/anxiety situations - if you haven't felt it yourself it's very hard to understand.

• Posted

Hi Rosie-rose

That's very true with people who haven't suffered with it - if you haven't got over it in a few days / weeks it becomes tiresome to them and they don't understand.  However tiresome it might be to them though, they fail to understand that its even more tiresome to us who suffer.

When we have a really big upset in our lives it can really affect us despite being on these meds.  I understand your pain - I went through marriage break up many, many years ago from my first husband.  A very difficult time indeed

Of course though if you feel this situation is affecting you more than it should, it might be best to see your doctor anyway as maybe you could increase your dose a little to help tide you over until you feel better.  You may get side effects from the increase and they won't work immediately but may help.  Your doctor will help.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.