Been on citalopram 40mg for over six months still depressed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All, as the title says been on citalopram 40mg for six months and still feel depressed. Wake up every morning and feel sick going to work stomach pain and have no emotion find it hard to smile! Help

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Maybe its time to go back to doctors and get your medication reviewed

Lil

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

you need to go back to your gp either its not the right one for you or you may need a higher dose I hope you start to feel better soon. have you thought about meditation or using aromatherapy oils my lovely they help me along side the meds 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes as lillie said you would need to go back to doctors as that is not good your still feeling so low.  Its trial and error with medication until they get the right one.  Also are you getting any support outside of family and friends?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks guys, I have got a doctors appointment tomorrow so hopefully get some advice. I am on pregabalin too so wondered if the two together don't go. Just feel low all the time find it so hard to be positive and when I am it feels fake,I need to deal with people and have to be all smiles and cheer but inside I just want to stay go away! This is not right I know. Thanks guys
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you, penny62715. You're doing really well just going to work. That's a triumph :-) I can't even contemplate thinking about work at the moment.

I started 20mg Citalopram in January after being off work for 4 months from September because of being physically ill then bad depression, it seemed to really work for me (I was back at work by March) but then I had it upped to 30mg at the end of March because my Dad had a stroke and have just had it upped to 40mg this month. My gp said if I don't feel any difference in 4-6 weeks, we might have to find an alternative.

(I was on Sertraline for about 8 years but that seemed to stop working in September, then I tried Fluoxetine and now Citalopram. My sister is great on 20mg Citalopram).

Like you, I really want to feel better. I hate being depressed. It changes who you are and not for the better. I've just had my 2nd CBT session so I hope that helps.

I hope your gp visit is a positive one and that you start to feel better soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Do you have obsessive thoughts? I could bare the excessive thoughts I was having and now with Seroquel I'm much better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

​Thank you for sharing about this.  I'm not a doctor, but if I were you, I would tell the doctor you needs different meds.   There are scores of meds for depression and anxiety out there.  Maybe this one just isn't a fit for you?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Penny..so sorry for your suffering. You really can't expect a med to be your magic bullet to cure depression. Have you talked to anyone about how you feel..a trusworthy, wise person or do you tend to isolate? The meds are clearly not helping stabilize your mood but instead it sounds like you are numbing your emotions. It is important to feel all your feelings and sit with them and understand where they came from. Likely, losses big or small in your life that are unresolved. You could really benefit from some sort of group where you can safely grieve those past losses, still impacting your present and move forward into a brighter future. Hugs.

Cindy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Cindy, I think your right. I want to reduce my meds but cant do it all at once. Talking does help but mornings are hard I just have a awful feeling in the pit of my stomach and feel nauseous. Thanks again.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up