Been on Mirt for 13 days, do I need to taper?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I started with 7.5mg for 9 days, then 15mg for 4 days. The last two days before yesterday were pretty good, but yesterday and today I felt very groggy and spacey and confused. Even on the good days I felt somewhat sedated. I can't get up any earlier than 9:30 because of the grogginess and I need to eventually get back to work, so I can't have that. My question is do I need to taper off if I have only been on it 13 days? 

Thanks,

Albert

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi -

Although it`s only been a short time on the Mirtazapine it can`t hurt to taper. Everyone is different, a taper should bring you off without side effects.

• Posted

Hi Albert,

Yes Mirt' contains a slow release sedative that can last 24/7, for some (me too) others fel better a few hours after waking.  The lower the dose, the more sedating.

If you've decided you want to come off, I would immediately drop back down to 7.5 for 2 nights, then 3.75 for 2 nights then stop.  See how it goes for you, you can always reinstate at 3.75 but I don't think you'll need to. The sooner you get off the less chance Mirt' has to get hold of you, in my humble opinion. 

Its no good asking doctors because they have little experience of tapering Mirt', but you should let your doctor know your intention.  Hope you feel better soon.

Wishing you well Albert.

• Posted

Hi Albert,

I have been on 15mg Mirtazapine for 9 weeks now for anxiety and I can honestly say that in the last 2 weeks I have began to feel more like my old self, bit happier with less symptoms.

I too had many side effects but as time has gone on they have lessened to a point now where I can tolerate Mirt fairly well. Still not impressed by the weight gain though. There is no quick fix with these meds so you have to give them a chance and your body time to become accustomed to them.

I wish you well - good luck.

• Posted

Robert,

Did you have foggy days too? Also, is the weight gain a result of overeating or change in metabolism?

I have situational depression, so I assume the meds are temporary. I've read so many horror stories about coming off them that I'm afraid to keep going.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Albert,

Yes the first 3 weeks I had to fight my way out of bed in the mornings. Very groggy and also a degree of nausea.

I think the weight gain is mostly down to metabolism change but it can make you feel peckish aswell. I run 6 miles twice a week and have still put on many pounds and I don't feel I have eaten any more than before. But I am starting to feel a bit better.

I'm happy to cross the coming off Mirt bridge when I get to it. One thing at a time. I just want to come back to myself first.

• Posted

In my opinion, 13 days is much too early to judge the effectiveness of mirtazapine. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to have it's full effect and for the side effects to settle down. If you need to take a few weeks off work while you get settled and well again, then it might be worth it in the long run.

• Posted

Thanks, Pixie. What was your experience with Mirt? Did you battle with the zombie stage too? What about weight gain? Are you still on it? If not, how was it coming off?

Thanks

• Posted

I agree with Pixie's reply. Give it some time for the side effects to go away and the benefits to start taking hold.

However, if you do want to stop, personally, I wouldn't taper. I'd rather get it over with. Esepcially since you're currently on the lowest dose and have only been on it for two weeks. Mirtazapine is much easier to stop taking than an SSRI. I took it for about 12 years and quit cold turkey two and a half weeks ago. I felt weird for the first week and now I feel better than I have in a decade.

• Posted

Thanks, Mud,

I appreciate the positive story. All this reading gets me worried at times. I just need to be functional again, waking up early for work, etc. Overall, it sounds like your expreience was positive. Did you gain a lot of weight too?

THanks,

• Posted

Mirtazapine was a godsend for me for years. But after all that time the side effects begain getting worse, which in my case meant I didnt need it anymore. 

Just remember, 99% of the people posting here are hurting, they're either depressed or suffering from intense anxiety and they've probably been through some awful stuff. On top of that, very few people come here to report GOOD experiences with ADs, and most everybody hates the meds they're on. But it usually takes a few tries to find the right med, so don't be discouraged. 

I really wish people would stop calling meds "evil." That just scares new people and makes them feel hopeless. Just because a med didn't work for them doesn't mean it won't work for everybody.

And yes, over the last 10 years I gained about 25 pounds. But my anxiety was so bad that I didn't mind the weight, all I knew is that the Mirtazpaine got rid of my anxiety completely, so that was a small price to pay.

have noticed that I'm not constantly munching like I was before so I do hope I lose some weight. 

• Posted

Thanks Mud,

One last question: so after adjusting to Mirt, you were able to wake up early and go to work and feel awake? That is what I need to keep my job.

Thanks

• Posted

I was tired on mirtazapine until my doctor bumped me up to 45 mg. That seemed to be the sweet spot for me for many ears. And it still helped me sleep through the night, every night. Best sleep ever. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.