been started on sertraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, i talked to a GP for second time tuesday morning and he has put me on sertraline, i have never had these types of meds before and while collecting them chemist said that id feel worse for first few days or so, and took first one this morning and i see what she meant already, was very drowsy and tired and unfocused earlier, felt nausious too.

ive had temazepam before a few times for pre op anxieties a few times which i found didnt really help, and the GP said sertraline has a wide range of effects and also helps with anxiety.

and also how theyll take 4ish weeks to kick in.

i didnt really want to start tablets but i know its the logical choice, he also offered councilling to talk with a professional but id find it very awkward and id feel it was a overkill.

anyone else taking these have any info / exp ?

thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I will reply later properly on my phone just about to go to work. I started them 4 weeks ago and they did make me feel much worse. Suicidal thoughts are the worse. I still haven't felt any benefits yet I've been on other ones and they have always helped. Why did your dr choose them do you know?
    • Posted

not sure why these over others, maybe because they work also for PTSD and anxiety aswell, i didn't / don't have full blown PTSD,  id gone through quite an ordeal with multiple A&E visits and 3 surgeries and being kept alive painfully by a tube in my lower abdoman, the sertraline is mostly because of a depression which had been present for several years and the last year has been a catalyst. 

yesterday after first tablet i found myself drowsy and sleepy and nauseous and a bit weak and unfocused.

i have had harm thoughts but i highly doubt ill act on them, i definatley wont commit suicide, not an option for me even if i did get to that stage.

• Posted

I was Ok on Sertraline.  Some anti depressants suit some people and not others.  Yes you will feel worse before you feel better, and yes they will take up to 6 weeks to make any difference.  The first week or so is the worst.

Entirely up to you whether you want to take tablets or see a counsellor.  See how you go on the Sertraline.  If you don't think they are helping go back to your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Ollie, 

i started on sertraline about 6 weeks ago.  I had to taper off venlafaxine for two weeks at the same time, so felt really awful for two weeks.

i have been picking up since then.  I still have "down  days " but that's to be expected.  I don't feel anxious, and my mind has stopped racing.  I feel more positive and motivated.

one person on here said that it took him twelve weeks to feel back to normal, I found that encouraging. 

I have counselling as well and feel this is really good, it's like a safety net for me.  CBT ( cognitive behavioural therapy) is available with a therapist or you can buy online books. I have one by Chris Williams that's good. 

While waiting for meds to work be kind to yourself, Katie x

• Posted

i had a look at the moodgym the gp told me about but it costs for each section, same as a actual gym basicly, ill see how the sertraline goes then maybe see if councilling would help, the sedative sides of the sertraline is definatley working, i feel sleepy and tired and bit dizzy all the time since i started taking them and my spacial awareness is off because i keep bumping into things rolleyes

although i arent getting as angry at things as i used to already, sort of like i can't be bothered as much, and i havent gotten as down as much when trying to get to sleep.

my slightly irregular heartbeat and mild palpitations are more prominent though, keep going a bit tight in my chest so ill have to keep an eye on that.

did you have any side effects?

thanks for info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.