been suffering from a panic disorder for 12 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from a panic disorder for 12 years. I was on anti depressants for 7 years came of them I have had acid reflux for 2 years cannot eat much trying to find it hard to lead a normal life as this has taken it over i have now got burning mouth syndrome and keep getting mouth infections i am currently taking 30mg lansoprazole for the last 2 years and colofac for ibs to relieve the bloatedness now my doctor wants me to take citrolpram 10mg but over the years i have a phobia on taking new medication i am afraid by taking citrolpram will harm me i am at my wits end now i cannot carry on like this i just want to lead a normal life.[size=24:c3b63ac1ce][/size:c3b63ac1ce]

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

dear jojo,

i have only in the last 2 weeks started suffering from panic attacks and i know how scary thay are. i wake at 5 every morning feeling as though i will pass out or worse. my family are finding it very difficult as i become quite hysterical and some days i daren't even get out bed.

i/m trying to think positive and have been put on prozac and diazapam to alleviate the fear. i/m on day 12 of prozac and you just have to keep beliving that you will get better. you're not alone.

keep your mind busy, i know it's hard but good luck jojo

xxxxxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yesterday was my big day. After suffering with panic attacks since October, yesterday I told my boss and my husband, then I went to the doctors and was given Citalopram and i'm seeing a therapist to talk and develop coping stategies. Even after all this I don't feel in control but I had to do something. My panic attacks are linked to driving - which is when I got the first one. Unfortunately driving is a big part of my job so either I deal with it or I give up my job. I just want to be normal again but my big fear is that i never will be. Reading other people's experiences is helping - I thought it was just me and I'm going mad.

Yesterday morning I was thinking that I couldn't take anymore but now i've told everyone so there is no more hiding and lies and trying to cover it up - which was almost as exhausting as the panic attacks and just added to the stress. I just want the desperation of feeling like this every morning when I wake up to go away.

It can only get easier right?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

My husband suffers from depression panic attacks etc. He has had several antidepressants since Feb 2007 and no longer takes them as they disd nothing to help. One of his Drs did a blood test last July and he was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and perniceous aneamia. He has a stomach problem and takes Lansapresol(spelt incorrectly) He has had this for ever. The Dr reckons this is his depression problem and after looking on this site fopr perneous anemia I think he is correct. Have a look on there to see if you could be suffering the same problems and maybe have a test for B12.

JD

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hello, i'm 30 and had panic attacks all my life, i feel like i'm falling apart, i've been with my boyfriend for 9 years, and he asked me to marry him about 4 years ago, but now he can't wait any longer, we split up about 2 months ago and it's been hell. he has rung me and wants to get back, But i have panic attacks about moving out of home and leaving my mum and dad. Can anyone help me,? don't know what to do.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

[quote:0b38011c30=\"jojosammy \"]I have been suffering from a panic disorder for 12 years. I was on anti depressants for 7 years came of them I have had acid reflux for 2 years cannot eat much trying to find it hard to lead a normal life as this has taken it over i have now got burning mouth syndrome and keep getting mouth infections i am currently taking 30mg lansoprazole for the last 2 years and colofac for ibs to relieve the bloatedness now my doctor wants me to take citrolpram 10mg but over the years i have a phobia on taking new medication i am afraid by taking citrolpram will harm me i am at my wits end now i cannot carry on like this i just want to lead a normal life.[size=24:0b38011c30][/size:0b38011c30][/quote:0b38011c30]hi jojo,god!as i was reading your\"situation\"i was/am surprised how it EXACTLY sounds like mine!lets just say i never had the best upbringing(leading onto bad relationships etc)i wont bore you with that!(youll hav2 excuse spelling etc,ive been awake since 3.00am!)ANYWAY!ive suffered from panic attacks for as long as i can remember,i feel as if ive had a horrible knot in my stomach since i was 5/6 years old........i STILL struggle with the simplest of things,it could be going to buy milk!BUT for the first time in my life..........im DETERMINED to beat this \"bad thought process\"which leads to panic(for me anyway)5 days ago i split from my bfd of 10years,4days ago i was diagnosed with acid reflux which i was given lansoprazole,my stomach is a BIT better,but i am SURE this cda been caused by stress/anxiety,im praying they work!sorry,im rambling!i was also prescribed,diazepam,citrolpram(i have declined taking them as i had a bad experience with another anti depressant,2tired2 remember the name! :roll: i have heard really good things about lansoprazole,i DO always take my diazepam........im 33,after MANY years i have realised even these(my crutch)are not the total answer,ANYWAY!i just wannid to say a lil bit about me so you would know your not alone...........im in the process of PLANNING 2go back to college.........i see this as a fight ive been losing ever since i can remember,and maybe now im alone?ill win!genuinely,lol to you,lindaxxx smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This has been an interesting discussion and I'm glad I found it – I've been looking for information like this for a while. It sounds like my story is pretty similar to many of yours. I'm 33 and have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety issues for a few years now.

Like most of you, I've tried numerous different medications. Some of them worked OK but had side effects that weren't worth it, and some of them didn't work at all. Like the OP, I also have fears around taking new medications. I'm not sure if it's to the point that I'd consider it a phobia, but every time my doctor says we have to try something else, I get a sinking feeling.

Then I spend a few days researching all the possible side effects of the new drug, and convince myself that I'm experiencing them – sometimes before I've even filled the prescription! I really do want a solution to my anxiety problems – it's bad enough that it regularly gets in the way of enjoying my life – but taking all these meds just doesn't seem like the answer to me.

Lately I've been really looking into natural remedies. Have any of you tried any of them? I'm super nervous about that too though, because I know they can have side effects and there's so much information out there I'm not sure who to take seriously. It seems like everyone's got an agenda – and typically that agenda has to do with making money – so I'm weary of all of it.

All that said, it does make sense to me that there's a lot we don't understand about our brains, and that what we do understand can be addressed. Articles like this one (http://panicandanxietyblog.com/the-most-important-piece-of-advice-for-panic-attack-sufferers-part-2/ ) are interesting to me because they actually break down what can actually be done about it, beyond taking pills to just make the bad feelings go away.

Have any of you tried any natural remedies, or other methods to deal with these issues? I'm so torn about the subject and would appreciate some personal experiences with these things.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up