Been suffering with anxiety and supposed panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 18 years old and have had feelings of being sick for the last month or so. The feeling has been predominantly located in my throat and when I begin to feel anxious I get a sick feeling in my throat and it feels like it tightens up, often making me feel like I am having trouble breathing. These feelings usually occur when I’m leaving my house. I had a very bad experience when I was on the train which forced me to turn back and go home for fear of being sick in public. This had made me fearful of going out, even just going to a friend’s house. Considering I used to be a very sociable, outgoing person, I now find myself staying at home at times where I would have otherwise been out. I thought by forcing myself to go out I could try to overcome the fear, however it has not worked and I am now in the position where I would rather just stay at home. I am unsure to how this may have started but I was ill when on holiday in July and was fearful of going on the plane in fear of being sick, so I have guessed that this feeling that I had on the plane is recurring now in similar situations. I went to my GP who prescribed me generic anti-sickness tablets, however these have not helped as I feel this ill feeling is down to anxiety and panic attacks when I’m out. I know this description may sound vague but I just needed to get it off my chest and I need to know if others have experienced what I am going through. I am going to uni in about a month so am really worried that it would restrict me while I’m there. It is making day to day life a real struggle as I'm constantly panicking about going outside. Would be great to know what other people have done about being in a similar situation or just about their anxiety at all. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey man sorry to hear that..im litteraly dying a 4 th day in a row...had my all blood tests done all good...had my heart checked all good...but still scared as f....and feel like dying all that time...so hard to prevent attacks..feels like they last forever...and then when they stop i feel like i have been hit by a train...and feel like i only think about my health 24/7...scared to sleep for a 2 days now feel like im gona stop breathing if i will...im about to give up...its ruining my life and life of people around me couse they worry...sorry for writing it down just need to tell it to someone...
    • Posted

Hey I'm really sorry to hear about it. Have you had the same symptoms as me? I have these attacks when I think of going out and as soon as I decide to stay at home I suddenly feel so much better. I don't think I have had them as bad as you but good to know someone is in the same boat. When do the attacks usually come on for you? But yeah it's ruining my social life and my parents worry all the time about me so I feel bad about bringing them down. I had blood tests too but nothing came back, have you seen anyone about this yet?
  • Posted

I get the exact same sensations as you so wanting to follow this post. But you're not alone smile
  • Posted

Hi.  Did you know that the fear of being sick is called Emetophobia.  It's a shame that your doctor didn't offer any other support as they seem to rely on medication and can't think outside the box.  The best thing would be if you could find a therapist that deals with phobias.  Therapists can help you work through the issue. Alternatively you could look at Cognitive Behavoural Therapy to try and counteract the thoughts that you might be sick if you go anywhere.  There are a lot of self help CBT books etc if you can't afford to go into therapy.  Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks, yeah my doctor seemed so convinced that it was just a medical thing that I would "get over", but it's been the better part of a month so obviously I'm not getting over it and realising that it's now something to do with anxiety. This is why I've began to look at going to a counsellor. Thanks for your reply!
  • Posted

Looks like you might be suffering from agoraphobia as i do an like you i used to be social an was always out except for when i needed sleep but now i cant even take the rubbish out or open my door.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.