Been taking Citalopram for 4 days now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, day 4 I feel so scatty and round the bend.

I dont know how I am getting through my day in work.

I seem to have lost my ability to spell and read properly

I am anxious and scared, I thought this would all go in couple of weeks but people on here are saying it can last weeks even months.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What you are experiencing is a heightening of anxiety and poor concentration.....side effects which should diminish over next few weeks
    • Posted

Thank you for replying.

I feel so bad, i just want to lie in bed untill all this is over.

I have lost my appetite, which is the only positve thing about this feeling.

Is that a common thing that happens even when you have been taking them for a long time?

• Posted

It's probably not a good thing that you've lost your appetite, unless you were overeating in the first place?  Even if you can't eat a reasonable sized meal, do make sure your food is nutritious.  I went off fruit and veg and started buying the steamer packs for the microwave.  Buy a cooked chicken and a pre packed salad box to last you two or three days, oven chips, oven meals from supermarkets, but don't stop eating, you need your strength to get well

• Posted

Hi Kerry,

i think almost all of us have felt like this when we start on the Cit - i'm pretty sure its the effects of depression & anxiety than the drug itself - but i remember feeling worse before i got better - but it does come around. You have to give it some time - sadly it isnt a quick fix.

Is there anyway you can take some time off work? I found doing a bike ride everyday for a week really helped to clear my head x

• Posted

Hi

I cant seem to function im usually at the gym everyday.

maybe its because I have just started taking it.

I run my own buisness so Its not a good time to not be there,

Im usually so strong and have everything sorted, just want to feel like me again xx

• Posted

Stick with it first 10 days r the worst! 2 weeks top u should start settling down but it took me a good 6 weeks to level out
    • Posted

Thank you for reply. Do you have any tips on how to handle the first few weeks?

Im sitting in my  office very scared and anxious x

• Posted

I'm self employed too - i really feel for you... I hear you about not being able to get away - but its ok for people to know you are poorly - you dont have to tell them why - just that you have a virus of some sort... that they need to take up some of the slack for you...

It really is the first couple of weeks that are the worst... your body needs time to re-distribute the hormones and chemicals that these drugs work on... keep going - the tide will turn x 

• Posted

Would ur doc b open to a low dose diazipam 2mg relaxed me and helped a heap with the initial side effects
    • Posted

Go for a walk - get out in the fresh air, I know its sounds corny and a bit trite, but really, a brisk walk around the block - dont sit and get worked up... you can have a "meeting"... 

• Posted

Hi kerry I'm on day 7 and just beginning to get rid of the horrid nausea, if you get nauseous get some cyclizine from your GP it really helps. Also get some diazepam (2mg) from your GP they are a godsend for some short term relief. The days seem endless when you're feeling like this but just take it day by day but don't give up whatever you do . You'll be fine in no time x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.