Began hearing voices?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had a few issues over the last year or so. I started on zopiclone for a month or so to help me sleep, at this point I had been diagnosed with nothing and it was my first lot of medication. I was desperate for something g to make me better but it just made me worse. About 6 weeks ago my doctor said I have anxiety and depression so I started taking citalopram, switched to sertraline and I've been on venlafaxine for the last 3 weeks. The last few days I've been hearing loud shouting/arguing voices in my head which makes me not able to think and it makes me feel like I am going crazy. The later at night it gets the worse. It rarely happens in the day. I always feel constantly on edge. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Danielle you been through the mill havent.you  my wife is on zopiclone 7.5 mg and has been for some time shes been on them that long that she finds it hard to sleep without them ! Im on venlalfaxine 225mgs for a while now i dont remember.have to much bother once i had been on them for a while but they like a lot if anti depressants they can cause problems for about the first 4/5 weeks  but but please go back to your doctor especially if you are hearing voice which might mean they arent right for you ! Please take care and i wish you well david !
  • Posted

Hi Danielle, you must go straight back to see your doctor, either the

Treatment you are on at moment is not helping in any way, or it it

Actually worsening the symptoms you are experiencing... have you

Been referred to a psychiatrist? If you have not, then ask your doctor to

Do so....... depression can be treated, so do not lose hope. I have been

On sertraline for very many years ( it saved my life ) and I have three

Sons that have mental health problems , they have been stable for very

Many years......please try to get as much help and reassurance that you

Can ( MIND ) have a very good helpline also the SAMARITANS can be a

Great help in the short term...

Please try not to worry too much, relax as much as you are able, try to

Sleep well and make sure you eat well.... very sincere wishes to you,

Take care. X

• Posted

Spot on Deirdre, Sertraline almost certainly prevented me from killing myself, you're right when you say that depression can absolutely be treated & that symptoms can get worse before it gets better. & can flare up at any time! Best wishes. Marty
  • Posted

Please check with your GP, its possible the

medication is not agreeing with you.

It must be very upsetting for you going through this, esp hearing and seeing things.

I was on strong painkillers and the same thing happened to me.

The best thing to do is go with it and keep calm, it will ease things..

See you GP as soon as you can.

We on the form will help and support you for as long as you need x

• Posted

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you only that I've been on the same medication except I was put on mirtazapine after The sertraline, it seems to be the best meds I've taken As to date although they're supposed to help me sleep but they don't but not sure anything will help me sleep as have tried everthing I can think of, I agree with other replies though I think it sounds like it's the meds that Are not agreeing with you or maybe the dosage? Either way think it's best to go back to your doctor and explain x

Wishing you well 

Donna xxx

• Posted

I know this has been a year ago but i am going through the same.... I took my first tablet ever of sertraline 50mg and when i tried to go to sleep i also heard the loud shouting arguing voice in my head and now i cant stop panicking... I took my tablet now yesterday morning at 10am. So been over 17 hours. I literally don't know what to do.

• Posted

Just wondering what happened in the end Emma? I'm experiencing something similar. Did the voices go away? xx

• Posted

Im experiencing something similar and just wondered what happened in the end with Danielle and Emma? Did the voices go away? Was is the medication?

thank you in advance x

• Posted

OMG, that sounds awful your poor lady! i have never trusted antidepressants, especially after being dumped on them when i was 17, i vowed never ever again..... i will do anything to not take any of them ever again. i nearly took my life last week because of quite a serious issue. i am now seeing a counsellor for this difficulty, doing yoga again (i've done it before) and keep in regular contact with my GP. i have PTSD and depression fits with that, i also have health problems. i keep going, walking ecery day picks me up, it doesn't matter how cold it is. i wish you luck, if you can try to find a mindfulness course, counselling, yoga, Pilates or good old fashion chocolate always makes me feel good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.