being depressed has hindered me from making friends

Posted , 4 users are following.

im 21 years old and have been depressed since i was 13. so i went through high school and 3 years of university depressed and havent been able to really make any friends because of this. and now not having friends i feel like keeps me stuck in my room all the time because i dont have anyone to see or do anything with. this all just makes me more depressed...

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily...you say high school? I take it your American?
    • Posted

Ok...not sure why I needed to make that distinction lol. Obviously I'm no quack (Doctor) but I have / had the same issue when I was growing up. There wasn't "depression" at that time and it was deemed a taboo. Do you find it easier to talk online with people who know what it's like? If it helps I looked liked a fatter version of Harry Potter 😊
    • Posted

I was a shy person to begin with so I'm generally uncomfortable talking with people. I have a few close friends I share things with and I've a shrink that I'm definitely uncomfortable with haha
    • Posted

Ah....I know that term well...the shrink..but I do know they do good work...I had the mis fortune of being bullied when I was a lad growing up....my real friends I could and still can count on 1 hand. I too was shy and still am. Talking does help. But for me the person has to know you...even gave gone through a similar thing...shrinks are great I'm sure but I would rather chat to a friend.....at least they won't charge me for the pleasure haha. Sorry Em, may I call you Em? I didn't mean to talk about me....we're talking about you
    • Posted

Hi Emily. You can just carry on talking to us if you think it helps, it helped me. I have made 2 very good e-mail friends here through doing just that. One is a young lady [21] who has just graduated from Uni & has struggled with depression for years. The other is a 42yr old lady who has had a bad time with alcohol & has now been sober for 3yrs. I am a 65yr old male, who had to give up work in my mid 40's because of severe arthritic problems. I became depressed during this time because of not being able to earn a wage, relying on disability. I have been separated for 12yrs with no children. I take a cocktail of meds for my ailments as well as anti depressants. I too have a few friends, but only one of them knows about my depression. I took up photography 4yrs ago & believe me, Em, it helps a lot if you can find something to focus your attention on away from your depression. There are times when I am so bad that I don't want to be bothered with anything, those are the times I just have to get through somehow. I find the meds do work, but don't remove the depression completely. I am talking about "me" in order to give you some feeling that there are many others of us out there who feel the same. It also gives a topic for conversation if you wish to talk. You may prefer talking to folk your own age. That's ok, I am here if you want to talk to someone older who has been through what you are going through. Keep your spirits up girl, you have made a good start.
    • Posted

Goooooooood morning? Emily.....wait it's morning here. So sorry about last night I fell asleep....but to be fair it was after 3am.

I know it's a silly question but how you doing? Are ya busy or am I interupting?

• Posted

Wow Lee....only recently been on here a few days so still unsure of what to say/respond to when I read these posts.....hate being cliché especially when you know the answer
    • Posted

Hey Matt. Best you don't think too much about what to say. I just go with the flow, as you can probably see wink. Respond by giving your own experiences of the problem, it does help others cope & realise they are among friends who cah empathize with them & not judge them. If you do that, then when you ask questions, they will likely open up to you. Talking or writing really can help a great deal. Nothing wrong with cliche's.
  • Posted

If possible try to have some pet, and try to enjoy nature, take some photos. Feeling nature will give you great feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.