being diagnosed with a overactive thyroid please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm looking for some help/information please I've been suffering from weight loss, mood swings and anxiety for two years now and recently it has been so bad I've generally felt like giving up. I went to my gp and explained my symptoms and he sent me for a fasting blood test. The results are back and he said he wants to do another thyroid blood test as he's not 100%. Can people give me an idea of how long it takes to be diagnosed with overactive thyroid and start any sort of treatment. I'm petrified the second blood test will come back and he says it's fine. I just want answers to always feeling so low and tired sad I'm a 22 year old female who weighs 7 st 3lb

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma. It sounds like maybe you should find another gp. You shouldn't need to do a fasting test to test your thyroid hormones. change your gp and Ask for a referral to your hospital endocrinologist. You can help to heal your body too as anxiety palpitations stress insomnia muscle twitches excessive thirst or hunger are also signs of magnesium deficiency - this mineral is vital to support your hormone balance and your heart and your thyroid as is zinc and selenium and copper. If u get some good qualitysupplements of ythese minerals plus vitamin a b c d and e - you can help to get your thyroid back into balance. Also avoid putting any other hormones or substances such as antibiotics or vaccinations into your body as this also puts a strain on your overworked thyroid. Look into natural remedies as these really work. I sincerely suggest u look into magnesium deficiency symptoms. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Emma, it sounds as though he suspected diabetes and that is why he asked you to do a fasting blood test.  He is also checking your thyroid to see if it has anything to do with your symptoms but the thyroid blood test does not require fasting.
  • Posted

Thank you for your comments, some really helpful bits of information. I understand that's why I had a fasting blood test because he was looking at a variety of different things. I'm just disappointed that he wants me to have another thyroid test, not only that but he wants me to wait two months, I've had these symptoms for two years! I've just never plucked up the courage to go to the gp because I've always felt like "it's me". I just feel it's going to be a long time before I start getting answers xx
  • Posted

Emma, when I was around 20 years old, I had a brief relationship with an abusive boyfriend.  It triggered a massive depressive episode that manifested as extreme weight loss, sleep disorders and anxiety.  I was so tired, I thought I had cancer.  It took a lot to get me out of that.  I suffered for at least 4 years and then saw a psychiatrist who put me on an antidepressant called imipramine or brand name Tofranil.  It has side effects when used at a therapeutic dose but even at a low dose, it corrected many of my symptoms, including weight stabilization and proper sleep which left me feeling rested when I awoke and less anxiety.  In fact when I had panic attacks, I just had to take 2 pills once and it stopped them.  The other thing that helped was reading a book on attitudes and adopting the thinking that led to healthy emotions.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda, I went through a very traumatic experience two years ago, ive probably been living in denial ever since telling myself everyday "it's fine"....I just find it extremely hard to tell people face to face, I'm scared people won't take me seriously and it will tip me right to breaking point. Feel like I'm at a brick wall at the moment and nothing will fix me 😔
  • Posted

I know that feeling Emma.  I had no words for what happened to me so could not discuss it.  In retrospect I found the word is shame.  I took on another person's shame and did not know how to release that.  Then I met a man who was like I was before that happened to me.  It was a gift from God because he mirrored my true self for me and I was able to find that in myself again.  Shame demands hiding and is difficult to get thru but there are methods to do so.  You can search the Internet for the topic and treatment methods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.