Belly button pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

Last time I got bad pain I was advised to get Buscopan - it was in the left hand side - and it did sort it out.  Started being "active" on Friday with LS ++ had an off colour weekend, but bowels have settled.  But I have had a weird pain, felt a bit like period pains - I had the menopause 10yrs ago - and Buscopan hasn't really helped much.  Today it started very low across the bikini line, weird gripy, didn't respond to Buscopan, by this afternoon it is on the right side of my Belly button, the rest is just a dull ache, but my Belly button feels like I have a waistband digging in - that type of discomfort, like a pinch.  OK when up and around, just general discomfort, but when I sit it is a nasty little dig.  I have been wearing my loosest joggers so I know my waistband isn't digging in but it sure as hell is annoying me.  Its like a thumbnail size area.

Is this related to my IBS?  Has anybody had this kind of discomfort before?  Am going to try Nurofen Plus with buscopan to see if I get any relief.

Thank you in advance x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does this feel like it is inside the belly button? I have had something very similar in the past. Periodically it would occur, like a pulling, drawing in sort of sharp pain inside the navel. I looked on google and found a similar forum where people who had the same problem would use something like a golf ball or similar object , lie on the floor with the golf ball between You and the floor and raise up your arms and legs allowing the ball to press into you. This all sounds weird, I know ! But it got rid of it for me. It doesn’t explain what on Earth it is but it seemed to work. You may need to do it several times, holding the pose for ten or so seconds each time. I used to get it occasionally and would do this each time and now I can’t remember the last time it happened. It’s like something inside has become misaligned and this ‘puts it back’. Of course, it may not be the same but hopefully my description might give a clue as to whether it is. 
  • Posted

Thank you JayJayBee.  Yes it does feel like it is inside the belly button, but literally just.......very hard to describe but feels like a pinch of belly button edge, or like a knitting needle pushing into it, but literally for only 1/2cm or so.  

I don't feel like anything is misaligned.  I don't have a golf ball but will get something and give it a go - more worried I will squash said object!!  

This morning it feels lessened and I have a general all over "ache".

Thank you again

• Posted

These pains are related to IBS.  Buscopan and Nurofen together really help me.  However, don’t take Nurofen for too long because it can constipate you!  IBS pain can feel like period pain.  When I first got IBS, I thought it was a bad period because it started during my cycle.  It turned out to be IBS. Hormones can make IBS worse.  Sometimes the menopause can cause GI problems or aggravate existing ones. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.