Bend

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

I said I would post about the Pedal Machine 

I just wanted to say the pedal machine I bought is great and the lower down you sit In a chair the more bend you get... ie..... Sofa etc...

I'm glad I bought it 

Jean 

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find it good too Jean. I'm sure it's helped me a lot. I also find that if I.ve stiffened up it seems to loosen it.
    • Posted

Hi Carol

It's handy because you can use it while you're sat watching telly ..and like you say it seems to loosen things up 

what I have to do now is get my knee straight ...and that I am struggling with 

Jean 

• Posted

Straight isn't so easy. Mine was 0 deg when I left hospital but I don't think it's as good now. My surgeon didn't check it yesterday, just my bend, (120!!!) and he's discharged me for a year. I was ok when I had to sleep with my legs straight but now I'm nearly back to normal I sleep with them bent. Perhaps that's the problem.
    • Posted

I was told just to sit with my foot on another chair or stool and push and hold knee down. I had trouble with straightening too and, although not perfect, it's not bad now at 18 weeks. Jen 
    • Posted

Maybe that's my problem ...I can't sleep with my legs straight 

I'll have a try tonight.....

jean 

• Posted

Only way is on the stomach but it's not in our nature to lie in one place all night. Not once the pain has stopped waking us!

• Posted

I'm still being woken up by pain in the night ...and in the Morning my bed looks as if a Tornado has hit it 

jean 

• Posted

hi jean ... glad to hear it! i will see when i get back out of hospital at the end of next week how i am doing and if i feel this could also be beneficial to get my bend back.

just had to go for an anesthesia appointment in hospital and saw the top honcho. amazing. she really looked after me, took my concerns seriously and made me feel confident that this next hospital stay will not turn into a fiasco. i do think i will be drugged up to my eyeballs but hey, if that is what it takes to get through 48 hours on the bendy machine, so be it.

keep pedaling, jean :-)

• Posted

Hi Britta good luck with your hospital stay

and I really hope they control the pain well for you .

Take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean 

I'm a week post op, having a lot of pain after movement.

When would you suggest using a pedal machine? What pedal machine have you bought?

Why is my body telling me to rest up for a while yet on here people are exercising all through the day

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine

a week post op is really very early days ...I used a pedal machine at physio but that was on week 3 and I could only move the pedals backwards and forwards ..I couldn't manage a full revolution.

the Pedal machine I bought has a display to tell you how mant revolutions you've done I think mine cost around £ 20 

just go to amazon and key in pedal machines 

but if you buy one check with your physio before using it 

all the best with your recovery 

Jean 

• Posted

And your body is telling you that you need as much rest as possible

at one week post op I was wondering why I'd bothered as the pain is at it's worst ...but each week gets easier.... Listen to your body and take care ...but make sure you find time to do the exercises no matter how much they hurt ,..little and often is what I did 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Christine, 1 wk post op you will be in a lot of pain. It is so important that you have all the pain killers you need and can get. No one  on here could do any physio at your stage without meds, Including opiates if they could tolerate them. I started to use my machine at about three weeks after I'd used a bike at physio and realised I could cycle for the first time in years. I bought one from Amazon for about £20. Rest and physio is all you should be doing at the moment.
    • Posted

hi christine ... oh my, one week post op and you are thinking of the pedal machine? you are one brave lady! honestly, at the moment, i think you are doing great if you can do your exercises the hospital gave you and manage to get to the physio regularly. your physio must also be telling you to listen to your body and take naps when it needs naps. resting is as important as exercising. nobody on here is exercising all through the day, believe me!

by week 3 or even 4, depending on your bend and your general wellbeing, THEN consider the pedal machine. in the meantime, please take it easy and don't be mislead by anything written on here. we are all different and there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

take care,

britta 11.3 weeks

• Posted

Hi again Christine 

i don't think anyone exercises all day it would be impossible 

what you need now is rest more rest and medication 

don't push yourself too hard ....listen to your body 

I've only Just bought the pedal machine and I'm 12 weeks post op

so you take care 

Jean 

• Posted

One more thing Christine, use lots and lots of ice on the knee. It is heaven.
    • Posted

Hi Britta

I was just wondering why I can't or why my body won't move around

I'm on all meds possible, I've rang the surgery to speak to a Dr as the nerve pain is too much. They're sposed to be calling me 'later'

I do get some rest with 10ml oramorph every 2 hours during the day and MST 20mg twice a day

The knee just throbs all the time.

Should I be walking around my bungalow yet? I feel it's too much 

• Posted

Hi Jean

I was just wondering why I can't or why my body won't move around

I'm on all meds possible, I've rang the surgery to speak to a Dr as the nerve pain is too much. They're sposed to be calling me 'later'

I do get some rest with 10ml oramorph every 2 hours during the day and MST 20mg twice a day

The knee just throbs all the time.

Should I be walking around my bungalow yet? I feel it's too much 

christine 1 week TKR post-op

• Posted

I was in hospital for 9 days after my op as I was so badly bruised and had a fall I only walked to the loo ...I did exercises with the physio 

but perhaps I'm not the right person to ask

maybe someone who came home earlier can advise you 

Jean 

• Posted

I was in for six days because of blood transfusions but I know when I got home it was all I could do to go to the loo. I even dreaded that short walk.
    • Posted

I know what you mean Carol I too had the blood transfusions

and I live in a house where the loo is upstairs .....the stairs being my worst nightmare I spent the first few weeks living upstairs with meals being brought up by my other half....so the only place I walked too was the loo Only going downstairs to go out to physio 

at least now I've driven my car a few times...and I can get out 

Jean

• Posted

At least I didn't have stairs! Perhaps Christine will realise now that she is perfectly normal.
    • Posted

Stairs were my worst nightmare in the beginning until the physio said they were good exercise....maybe they were ...but try dashing up the stairs when you need the loo .... An impossible task biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Christine, it's very early days for you yet. Yes, try to do the basic exercises, especially sliding the foot and bending the knee whil sitting down. But also take pain relief regularly and get plenty of rest. I went to bed for a few hours every  afternoon in those early weeks. There's plenty of time for pedal machines and the like but obviously walk with your crutches back and fro to the loo. It does get better, honestly. Take care of yourself and accept any offer of help. Jen 18 weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi Jen

I'm really trying to do the basic exercises as much as possible.

Dr has upped my Gabapentin dosage and is going to try and get me off Morphine next week.

Struggling with pain. I'm in bed most of the day/night apart from using the loo. I spose I'm very lucky in a bungalow

take care

Christine TKR 1 week

• Posted

hi christine ... do you mind me asking how old you are?  having been on this chat for some weeks now i have noticed that the "young" ones - such as myself at 51 - are more impatient as they feel they should be getting fit faster.  this operation is not ageist ... it hits all of us differently, whatever your age!  

it is very, very important to understand the gravetiy of this operation and what has been done to your body.  this is a MAJOR operation.  you wouldn't be expecting yourself to be moving around and feeling chipper if you had had a serious accident.  believe me, i got a step by step description of what went on and it is not far off. 

the other very, very important thing to get right is pain management.  if you don't do that, you will not be able to do your exercises.  i cannot emphasize the importance of keeping your knee moving (even in bed!) and doing the basic exercises.  so keep pestering your doc until you get your cocktail mix right.  it took my doc and i 6 weeks to get it sorted and THEN i improved my bend.  icing and elevating really, really does help.  get those re-usable ice packs and just keep applying it.

the throbbing of the knee is TOTALLY normal.  do you know what it has done to it?  what you have to remember is that the joint in itself shouldn't hurt.  from my experience, it is all the soft tissue, nerves and muscles that have been manhandled which are trying to find their place again. internaly you will be very bruised and that hurts like hell!

what are you using to move around the house?  crutches or a frame?  do not try to move aroud without some aids.  it is too soon for that.  if you are using crutches, please make sure you have a physio show you how to use them.  makes a huge difference.

do not panic.  after week 1 i was a wreck.  it gets better every day!

• Posted

You have summed it up exactly as it is Britta 

no matter what age we are the op is the same

as you say the younger you are the more impatient  you are to get back to normal 

I feel fortunate that my knees have kept going until now I'm (76)  and it is a really MAJOR operation .

but I still want my mobility back  at some point as I've always been an independent person and never needed any help before this.

my consultant likened it to ...like being hit by a bus....and my god he was right ..

Jean 

• Posted

Christine, it is very very early days for you yet. I would be just walking to the loo end maybe a couple of other very short walks. Do your exercises and ice your knee, elevate it and take your pain meds. Regularly. Rest a lot. You'll get there. My whole leg hurt after my second TKR. Not just the knee. All the soft tissues get rearranged as well as bits sawn off the bone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.