Bend

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

I said I would post about the Pedal Machine 

I just wanted to say the pedal machine I bought is great and the lower down you sit In a chair the more bend you get... ie..... Sofa etc...

I'm glad I bought it 

Jean 

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

agree with everything said on here.... I am 12 wks on and really only been doing exercise bike 15 mins a day for last two weeks. .. Prior to that just the basic exercise given by discharge nurse.. It is very hard going and you will have days where you wish you had never had this op.... days where you can barely move.....even if you have a day where you need to rest all day... try and do the leg raises and bed exercises. ...take meds before you are in a lot of pain don't wait until it's really bad....even small tasks feel like a major achievement. ... don't try and rush your recovery. .. your body will soon let you know....take advice from physio... gp. .. etc...I wish you well in your recovery. . It is very easy to get into a downward spiral of helplessness. .. feeling down... not wanting to do anything. ... I know because that was how I felt until a few weeks ago... take care   and keep coming on here... It was a godsend for me.x
    • Posted

Hi Mary

I'm so glad you're feeling more positive ....and everything you say is so very true 

it is easy to give up ...but this website and all the advice helps keep everyone on the right road to recovery 

take care and keep going onwards and upwards 

• Posted

Thats interesting Jean my physio recomended a huge ball that I sit on and push out and back to help with the bend. I bought one on Gumtree today,the lady selling it bought it to help with her " birthing" her new baby you should have seen her face when this old girl and himself pitched up at her doot to buy it.Think I will have a glass of wine tonight and then get on it cheesygrin
    • Posted

At least you made someone's day Fran

and I hope the ball works for you.... I have a really bad back problem and I honestly couldn't see me sitting on one of those balls ...but this little pedal machine I can manage by sitting on a chair ....whether it will do as it's supposed to do only time will tell

you keep rolling and I'll keep peddling 

maybe we could be a double act ...lol

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean, I don't have a ball but used one in a physio class I went to before my op. Just sitting on it and bouncing gently is very good for your back apparently. It was quite pleasant and I used to do that to have a break from the other more strenuous exercises 😊 Just an idea but, of course, don't know if it'd be suitable for your back. It's quite funny how we're gathering all this equipment isn't it? Your pedal machine sounds good. Jen 
    • Posted

We can always sell the equipment at a later date to some other poor soul who's had a knee op

I'd try a ball but I would be so scared of falling off....I wouldn't want someone to call out the fire brigade to get me up off the floorbiggrin

• Posted

my daughter gave me her balance ball... she used it when she   was pregnant. .. I use it every day... word of warning. .. take care when sitting on for 1st time  make sure you have something solid to  hold on to nearby. .. its a bit scary trying to find your balance... sit with feet  shoulder with apart and bounce up and down... really helps the back muscles and core strength.... look on Google for more exercises. .. good luck...
    • Posted

I remember when I used one pre op I found it quite easy and I'm not the best at keeping my balance. I may ask the physio next week if she thinks it would help with my back which she's said is very stiff. I might get one then 😊 
  • Posted

Hi, 

I'm day 4 post op and thought i was doing terrible. I was worried that I couldn't get that 90 degree bend. I've been sent home with codiene and paracetamol and the usually injections in stomach. I'm struggling a little and didn't know if I was being a wuss! It's hard to find anybody to ask how they've got a long when I don't know anyone!! Been trying to potter round house and do some little things and my knee is screaming at me, so need to sit back down. All the drs said to me is you need to keep it moving or you'll seize up and I'm scared of that now. No complications through surgery, a bit of stupid back ache from the spinal. My body just wants to sit. 

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated greatly. Listening to fellow suffers seems to be more beneficial than the docs sometimes. 

Julia 

• Posted

Hi Julia, you SHOULD be mostly sitting at day 4! do your basic exercises, yes, but also take (strong) painkillers regularly and get plenty of rest. I walked back and fore to the loo (with crutches) and that was about all. My husband, bless him, did all the household chores in those early weeks. It's enough of an effort to get up, wash, dress and do the exercises. Sleep will probably be disturbed so rest when you can during the day. Keep in touch - you'll get plenty of reassurance on here 😊 
    • Posted

Hi Julia

4 days is so very early to be doing any jobs around the house 

look after yourself ...rest ...meds....and sleep

gentle exercises laid on the bed ...but whatever you do don't try to push yourself or you will suffer.

people on here give fantastic advice as they have all gone through this Op

you are the important one now so please look after yourself 

Jean 

• Posted

Thanks guys, just felt like I should maybe be doing more but I will just sit for a bit and relax. I'm 34 with a husband and 2 kids on the go, he's running around and I feel terrible for him. He doesn't know what to do for me bless him. I'll get there. Thank you for your advice. Sleep isn't easily found at any time at the minute and it's so draining. I feel better knowing I shouldn't be doing things other than my exercises. Getting up, dressed and down stairs is enough to need a nana nap. 

Thank you again. I Won't be going far from this page for info and advice 

• Posted

wow. ... 34  and 2 children  !... I am  55   and look after my 2 yr old granddaughter most days. .. its hard going     I am   12 weeks on now but up until a few weeks ago I wasn't able to do much... take all the help you can get... don't feel guilty about having to rest ... and as for housework.... I used to be soo house proud. .. now I do what I can  when I can... take care of yourself   x
    • Posted

Hi Julia. I'm 8 days post op and you sound like you're doing really well.

I've found this past week the joint has been stiffer so keep moving about a little If you can, but rest lots too.

Ring the Dr if the meds are not working

Christine TKR 1 week 1 day

• Posted

oh wow julia, 4 days!  i was still in hospital at 4 days ... we get to stay a week in switzerland.  walking down stairs at 4 days?  well done!  i didn't even attempt that until week 2 or 3.  the word "wuss" is never used on here as we all know that pain is sooo individual as is the recouperation.  don't be too hard on yourself and don't expect to be doing too much for the next weeks to come.  your whole focus will be on your knee - icing, elevating, exercising, massaging, physio, napping, icing, elevating ... you get the picture!!  and don't feel too guilty about your husband, remember, you would be doing the same for him if the roles were reversed.  this is a MAJOR operation.

did you get specific exercises to do from the hospital?  have you got physio appointments?  are the pain meds given by your doc enough to keep the pain at bay?  you don't mention any of this in your post but these are the top three in my opinion.

keep us posted!

britta 11.5 post op

• Posted

Hi Britta,

I got a few gentle exercises to do from the physio at the hospital, trying to get my straight leg raise as well as the bend going. Because it was Friday afternoon that I got discharged they couldn't get hold of the Physio department so I'm to phone in morning for my appointments. 

They sent me home with 30mg codiene which I can take 2 every 6 hrs and paracetamol. I had some gabapentin but they only gave me it to last until last night. Got the usual two weeks of injections for blood clotting too. ive really struggled today, not done much other than toilet and a few exercises and I could cry. Think I'm going to get in touch with gp in morning. I totally get ive got to keep it moving to get it going but getting it moving sends me through roof at minute. 😔

• Posted

Julia. .. This is normal..rest.. leg raised  ice. painkillers. . I felt as if I only went to the loo and  that was the extent of my mobility    for at least 4 weeks..... even now at 12 weeks.... I am still stiff and sore .. eases up as day goes on....   I use a balance ball... exercise bike .. but only in the last few weeks..... its horrible wanting to do stuff but can't. .. and having to ask for help.. It really does get better.. keep looking on this group... We are all in the same boat. .....take care...
    • Posted

hi julia ... exellent idea.  my gut feel is that you have not been given enough meds for the early days.  paracetemol is for a medium strength headache, with or without a bit of codeine.  you need more to be pain free so you can do your exercises.  gently, gently of course.  but if moving it gently sends you through the roof, then you need more meds.  don't be shy in asking and don't be fobbed off.  good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Julia

I think you need more meds.

Codeine and Paracetamol don't really hit the pain at all. 

Gabapentin is good, Oramorph is too, if they will give it you.

Don't suffer in pain. 

All the best 

Christine TKR 1 week 2 days 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.