Benzo long time effects?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, been on low dose benzo (Valium) for 21 years. 1-5 mgs per day. Taken 10 mg occasionally (maybe once per year) when flying long haul. Now I have stopped totally. Was taking 2-2.5 mg at nights, then 1 mg. Now I have had nothing in one week. Working fine. No trouble in sleeping. Today my head feels a little bit clearer. Anybody knowing anything new about the benzo long time effects? Now they say that is does NOT give you dementia, which is good. Anybody any experiencies of similar long time use? Thx in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have been on 5mg at night and 2mg in day for four years.  I am anxious a lot of the time but the night one was originally to help me sleep, it isnt very effective now.

i would like to know how you approached coming down, i know it has to be done slowly and there are side effects but i would like to get off this as i never really wanted to start it, it was for pain in a period waiting for an op and i cant get it down.

your help would be appreciated.

today i have dentist and i am so wound up about the procedure, will need diaz just to get there.

• Posted

Hi Ann, I’m afraid I cannot give you much help. I just decided to go without one night after having a couple of nights with just one mg. I can now see that I really haven’t needed it. I have taken 1 mg when in some not so nice situations and have been thinking it helped. Maybe, maybe not. 

I now just just try to go completely without and if I can, maybe you can as well. I’m not a doctor, so don’t take what I say as an advice. It’s just an opinion. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Conta good for you coming off diazepam after such a long period of use.l found that diazepam use increased anxiety and insomnia when I became tolerant.Also a lot of dizziness and onset of agoraphobia.l also became very agitated and poor memory.l believe these can all be attributed to long term use of benzodiazepines. I am tapering off at the moment and will never take a benzo again when I manage to get off.
    • Posted

Hi marleen. Interesting to hear about your experience. So I’m looking forward to better coping skills as a whole. My memory is very poor - One of the reasons for I decided to come off when I was taking just one mg at bedtime. Today my head seemed to be a bit clearer than before. Maybe I m on the right track. Good luck with the tapering and let us know how it goes!
    • Posted

Thank you Conta it definitely does blunt memory.l hope you manage to find healthy ways to cope with difficult situations.Try mastering breathing techniques and meditation as they are definitely an effective tool for anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi, i also feel that this diaz is making me more anxious and agitated.  I am sure i am in tolerance now.  Four years since my original dose of 5mg for an op.

i am trying not to increase it but am going to try to lower slowly. I have read ashton manual.

i take the 5 in middle of night to sleep so thought if i tooke it down to 4.5 first then see how it goes.  I also,take 2mg in day.

do you think the night time lowering will help me regain my life?   This is one awful dependency

• Posted

Hi Ann did you suffer anxiety before you went on diazepam? I personally believe from your symptoms you will definitely improve when you get off the drug.You should reduce your evening dose and stay on it for 2 to 3 weeks.Just do it and you will be helping yourself in the long term.
    • Posted

No i never needed anxiety meds before i was 62.  Always been a worrier but just dealt with it.  Now ive got this i feel terrible and youre right, get rid of it is the way to go, so hard.
    • Posted

Ann you need to get off the diazepam l know you are scared however you have two choices firstly stay on the diazepam and suffer anxiety and agitation or come off and allow your brain to recover.That is why antidepressants etc are not working for you.Drug induced anxiety and depression can not be treated with drugs.Start your recovery and fingers crossed after time this will all be a distant memory.
    • Posted

Thank you Harriet people have no idea how terrible these drugs are when used long term.l can't wait to reach the end of my taper and I will never use them again. I hope Ann takes my advice.

• Posted

Hi Good for you tapering off. It has to be done slowly unlike the opiates which can be tapered quickly .

​Ashtons manual gives further details in depth about tapering off the benzos safely.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.