Benzodiazepine addiction help (NHS)

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I currently take 2mg of clonazepam (Rivotril) in the morning for general anxiety and 1 - 2mg of alprazolam (Xanax) for panic attacks as the clonazepam doesn't help them much and finally 2 x 30mg of temazepam at bed time for sleep sometimes with another 1mg Xanax. Now around a year ago I moved to a absolutely horrendous GP practice who basically didn't care and left me to withdraw from oxycontin and morphine alone so I had to go cold turkey but I got free from them which im proud of, however, due to this GP and the stress they caused me by taking me off my once a month script of zopiclone and diazepam I ended up hitting the heavier benzos for relief which increased as more stress from this GP problem went on. The problem I know have is I've lost my job and can no longer afford to pay for these tablets to keep me going and only have around 4 days worth of everything left. I have had to obtain them from dodgy online pharmacies s the GP was so unhelpful and im really scared of going into full blown withdrawal which causes me to loose my mind rather literally. 

Now I have an appointment to see a new GP on Thursday at a different practice in a new area and was wondering if they would help me by prescribing diazepam and temazepam as I do really want off of these drugs as at the minute all I do is panic about how im going to get my next lot of pills and I have a feeling that he will turn me away due to being a new patient and dont know what ill do come Saturday when im completely out of everything (I've even stretched them out besides the temazepam or I just cant sleep for days on end without them and when I do try and sleep I hear voices in my head non stop driving me slowly insane.

Will he substitute for diazepam or just leave me to go cold turkey and really suffer, can someone who's been in a similar situation or has knowledge on this be of any assistance as im at my whits end or just send me to a heroin centre and be waiting weeks to try and come off them. I do really want to come off them as well and im not looking for a quick fix but I really dont know what to do. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

To be used when needed only or else you get addicted and its hard to let go!
  • Posted

Hi James,

I'm currently coming off Diazepam myself after a year of taking it, it's difficult but the freedom in the end will be worth it. Your GP should probably switch you to a longer acting benzo like Diazepam which has a longer half-life and therefore you probably won't need to take as much or as often as the others. My GP has been prescribing Diazepam for 7 months now with no issues. Just be honest with him/her and describe your condition as accurately as possible.

Let us know how you get on.

All the very best pal.

George

• Posted

Thanks mate I want off these drugs there evil. Wish you the best of look in finally coming off them as its not an easy ride but it sounds like your doing great. 
  • Posted

Hi James.

ask your new gp to put you on the Ashton plan.

Google it and if possible print it out and take with you.

You basically withdraw from the benzo drugs using a diazepam reduction plan.

if you explain to Gp henhopefully will help.

a lot of docs are not familiar with this method, but is tried and tested.

lots of people on this forum have used this method successfully.

hard core addicts such as yourself have used this plan and they are clean.

please research it and try it.

I don't think many docs will willingly prescribe zopiclone or temazepan anymore,so good luck with this.

• Posted

In my opinion, any who would treat you like an addict and leave you to cold turkey shouldn't be in medicine!!! Sometimes it takes years yo get off this stuff. No sleep is the worst thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.