Best excercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Would anyone recommend the best excerise to release stiffness above the knee. Awaiting physio !! Thanks Bev

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Finley

One is sit on a chair and slide tour leg back using your good leg or a rope. Another is sit o the edge of a high stool or tail gate of truck and let gravity pull your leg down to bend and once again you can assist with rope or good leg. Both ways pull as far as you can go count to 15 to 30 hold then release and do it again. Once it gets easy push a little further and go thru the same process as you progress. There is going to be pain even with good meds but you have to work thru that. It's easy for some and very hard for other. Hope you are the easy one. I am the hard one so food luck from Manny

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lie on the bed and keep your leg as straight as possible and try and lift your leg of the bed. While you are there, try and pull your heel as close to the bum as possible, this might not be very far, but continue at it. Roll a bath towel around a large juice can, put it under the knee and pushing your knee into the roll, try and lift your foot without lifting your knee. And do the knee bends as Mandy gave you. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

im awaiting physio for the same thing fin!!!@ I set off walking yest and the belt tightening feeling came and it was agony! !!! I have a static bike but my GP told me not to use it til the physio has assessed it!!!! I like the sitting on a chair pulling your leg back as far as you can hold it like that then pull it bak a little further? ??
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks all for your help much appreciated 😁👍
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Calf stretches but also lunges on bottom step - push operated leg forward to stretch hold for 10-15 secs and release. Also marching with 'high' knees hold on to a rail if needed. Sit on exercise bike and move pedal (even though cant rotate) can go back and forth to the stretch were you think ouch but not screaming level of pain - dont overdo though this takes ages to go and the above knee bit seems to be the last bit to release.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had my first physio session yesterday. We had a warm up doing squats and lunges  before using equipment. I also do the exercises  the other members suggested. Good luck. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Finley, out of all the exercises i do at physio the one that i get most improvement of the bend and release of stiffness, is the very big exercise ball, just sit on it and rock back and forth, strecting the quads, just push it and hold for 5/10 secs and repeat, the bike helps to, but ball cheaper to buy for home use, hope you improve quickly Brian (am just coming up to 7 weeks TKR)
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up