Best medicaiton?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have had two bouts of CBT, both at my uni and also in my hometown, had some benefits to it but not enough in my mind. Im still unable to control my worrying, i was put off of medication a few years ago after a very bad expereince with Citalopram, I have tried Prozac also which I didnt really get on wtih. Can anyone recommend anything? I have been given amitriptyline but it appears that is more for sleeping, which luckily i do pretty well with. I havent taken any of it as i am cautious as i dont want to have side effects like I did last time as I am very busy at the miment and need to be able to function. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask for a different route of therapy, CBT sometimes isn't very effective,there are better options which your therapist should be able to discuss with you,be sure to tell them you dont think cbt is working with you
    • Posted

i dont have a 'therapist' as such really though, all CBT seems to be doing currently is pushing mindfulness meditation which i dont personally think gives you much praticial help.
    • Posted

No I think CBT is pretty much useless although it does work for some. Ask for a proper referal to psychology, other options are much better
  • Posted

Hi Jamie

The question you asked has no limits

Because there are lots of gd meds out there . It's how we react to them and our response to get better . Each persons

Circumstance is different it's a case of trial

And error until you find the right mix

I wish there was a certain med that

Everyone took to with little or no side effects . That would be great

I've tried a few myself like Dutonin ,

Paroxetine , mirtazapine etc and now

I find myself on fluoxetine . It really is down

To the individual

• Posted

hi, Id suggest you discuss medication with your GP, if you are a worrier there is a great self help guide on the Centre for Clinical Interventions called What Me Worry.

Google it and take the 8 week course, has some valuable advise and exercises, basically it suggests that worrying is okay just better done in a different way.

NeilĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.