Best medication for you?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am just looking to see what medication helped you guys the best and what else also helped you? I am wondering because i was given citalopram and it made me collapse in a busy restaurant so i am not sure what to take. I know SRRI's are not really safe for the heart but wondering what is the safest SRRI? as i believe i definatly need medication now becuase i have tried everything else and that hasnt worked. I am also going to ask for cognitive therapy aswell. Let me know your stories guys, i am interested to hear. Stay well smile

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Tbh medication is only a cover up for it its not a cure it may ease up I have health anxiety and im starting cbt soon in like 5 weeks ye 5 lol its mad I have to cope for that long till the appointment  but what helps me now is not relying on drs and google that worse google trying to find whats wrong but worst comes out of it listening to music and trying to relax helps 
  • Posted

hi aiden i suffer from health aniexty and got panic attacks everyday along with weird headaches i tryed all meds therepy accunputure reflexogly notin worked so i tryed hypnosis 8 days ago and havent had a attack since im doin great must do 3 more sessions to make it last but it is so far give it a go uve notin to lose
    • Posted

hi, i am not sure if they provide hypnosis from where i live but i will ask, thanks
    • Posted

Does  hypnosis actually work and is it expensive ? There is a few were I live but not going to go if to much and if it dont work on holiday when I was 7 my mum and dad got hypnotised and was so funny dident work for my dad but did for my mum was mad lol
    • Posted

ya if u believe it will work it will go with a open mind they got to the root of my prob something that happened to me wen i was 7 im now 35 id forgot all about it but my subcousios mind didnt forget it i suffered from panic attacks every day for a year ive been free from attacks for a week now and in great form goin on holidays to crete in 3 weeks was dreading it but now cant wait. i live in ireland and it cost 75 euro a hour u only need 3 sessions
    • Posted

Outch a bit to much for me lol and glad your getting better  hope all goes well for you and thanks for the info best wishes 👍
    • Posted

I am trying CBT hy[pnosis too. You have to pay for it, its usually around £40 an hour but hopefully worth it. Good to know its helping you Landy10...

Would you mind having a read of my discussion (Obsessive compulsive questionning) and seeing if you think Hypnosis would be effective for my problems? I need to try EVERYTHING....

Good luck everyone and stay strong smile xx

• Posted

Wow. My own personal experiences are with ssri, the newer ones are evil, like pristiq effexor and cymbalta. I've been on these new ones, pristiq landed me in ER recently. In the past I was on the other two for many years successfully, but knowing what I know now I think I'll stick to xoloft/sertraline. Really helps with anxiety and gives you the who gives a sh*t fearless attitude to be blunt. You feel good and nothing bothers you anywhere. You feel like titanium. Prozac was one in past I actually started out with and caused ulcer and went off. No choice.
  • Posted

Its recommended that before CBT (as its quite challenging) that you take some type of medication to make you more stable before and get the most out of your therapy. CBT teaches you to tackle the problems head on to be able to control them better in future, which can be really hard as you can imaging. Engaging yourself in doing the things that youve found it so hard to do before,  hence why you would be having the CBT. CBT is great though and it helped me. Although i didnt get as much out of my seesions as i could due to not clicking with the therapist. Little tip... make sure you are totally comfortable around your therapist, if you don't click the same may happen to you as it did me.

Good luck smile there are a lot of self help guides online too which are useful. xxx

• Posted

The only medication that ever worked for me was lorazepam, but I can't take it - and won't take it - on a continual basis due to it's dependence qualities.

Anti-depressants never worked - often I'd taken on all the side effects but none of what they were designed to do, which is to effectively to defibriliate your brain to make it live and breathe again.

I've never seen evidence of medication working in mild to moderate depression. A lot of the time it's there to compensate in two ways - 1. As a means of making you wait until self-help was available to you (as per shameful neglect of services within the NHS), or 2. As a means of sedating you from changing patterns of behaviour that could alleviate a lot of the symptoms of depression so that you never change them. Medication enslaved me; it has to others too. Most on medication have a yearning desire to want to come off them and walk on their own two feet.

Sometimes medication is the only choice, but often - most often - it should be treated as the absolute last resort. GP's hand out prescriptons for relaxants and anti-depressants far too casually for my liking, and most do so without the right sort of training (or knowledge) of mental health conditions to do it responsibly.

• Posted

I was given Citalopram (starting on 10mg) about 3 years ago. The dose was since increased to 20mg and then 40mg as other things in my life occured. I find that when i come off them i definitly notice a difference ni regards to increased intrusive thoughts and depression. They really do work for me. Although i do feel sick quite regularly, probably once/twice a day for a minute or 2. Something i can live with as long as the tablets work for me.
    • Posted

"I find that when i come off them i definitly notice a difference ni regards to increased intrusive thoughts and depression"

Intrusive thoughts and depression can be controlled without medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.