Best medicine for acid reflux?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am suffering from acidity and gastric esophageal reflux diseases?? What's the best medicine to start i mean is it ok to go for PPIs or Gaviscon???

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

?A gastroenterologist would most likely start you on a PPI like pantoprazole or an acid blocker like zantax twice a day. the gastroenterologist will tell you that you can take these meds as long as you need to HOWEVER a pharmacist, the FDA and the information sheet you receive from the pharmacy when purchasing the medication will instruct you to not take it for more than 8 weeks with a maximum total use recommendation. There are class action law suits currently that link long term use to kidney damage or failure and other such side effects you should be aware of.

?You would be wise to also take Gavascon ES at bedtime and/or approximately 30 minutes after meals. You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 4oz of water when heartburn is at its worst but don't use it more than twice in a 24 hour period.

?Other things you can do are:

* raise the head of your bed 6" to 8' and try not to sleep on you back.

?* eat smaller meals slowly and chew your food completely. Only sip luke warm water with your           meals. 

?* Don't eat fried food, onions, garlic, tomatoes, citrus fruits or tomatoes in any form. Google diets for acid reflux or gerd to learn more about foods to eat and avoid. Remember to try identify food triggers that you suspect causes acid reflux but try your suspected triggers one at a time so you can determine with certainty if that food causes reflux in you or not as we all are different. For me onions and garlic kick my ass but tomatoes and some of the other acid causing foods do not affect me. Some experts say alcohol is a trigger others say it is not, check for yourself.

* I have taken extra virgin Siberian pine nut oil that you can be purchased at Amazon or google it if you want to purchase it from a different source. The tree oil really helped me. 

I would also make an appointment with a gastroenterologists for testing such as and endoscopy, Bravos test, Impedance test, barium swallow test, etc. etc.

I hope this information helps you.

Frank

• Posted

Probably PPI medication that's what I'm taking but please try Zantac first they are a less risk to health also take Gaviscon after meals as well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.