Best thing when you've done too much?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks post TKR and I did too much Friday, so I had a bad night with stiffness and pain and it was bad yesterday so didn't do much other than exercises 3 or 4 times in the day and icing. I was expecting it to be better today but it wasnt - so my question is on a bad day, should I :

- rest it completely and not exercise,

- rest it but continue with exercise

- or push it as far as I normally would?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions please?

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan. I'd rest but do exercises with care and use ice packs. Excessive pain is pointless. Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

yes Susan Ice packs and rest for a day. i had my knee done 9 years and still get pain and stiffness.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I usually just do exercise bike, to try and loosen knee up without putting any strain on it, then elevate and ice.......and take paracetamol every four hours. I've been much the same since physio on Friday, I felt great whilst I was there but have had two awful days since. I'm hoping that by the time I get up tomorrow I'll feel alot better! 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I ca t emphasize hydration enough. Much of the weak, listless feeling is the extra effort you put out yesterday is causing dehydration today.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've done the same and it took a couple of days or maybe three to get back to normal. Be kind to it - icing and gentle exercises but don't push it hard or you will probably just make it worse. If you have an exercise bike use that gently to loosen up, as Pam recommended.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Rest, ice, exercise with care, if it starts to hurt more, then quite and rest.

Slow and steady is the way to go with TKR. It takes a long time for us to get back to 'normal' functioning. TKR is the worst replacements one can have. Take care and good luck.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up