Best time to take Citalopram?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I take my Citalopram at 9 pm as it typically makes me sleepy. However the morning anxiety is still hell after nearly 5 weeks. Wondering if it might make sense to take it at 6 pm. Perhaps sleep thru the anxiety a bit.. if I take it earlier. Grasping at straws here. This morning anxiety is debilitating!

Any suggestions and experience much appreciated. Hope you are all having a good day!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Shane,

I forgot to ask. Do you take an anti-anxiety medicine with the citalopram? I was added buspro to take twice a day. Just thought I would ask. Keep holding strong! You got this!

Eric

• Posted

Hi, I was given 5mg of Valium. Some days I will take half but I don't like Benzo's. Need to be pretty desperate before I will take it.

Doing my best Eric. Feel fairly good this evening. Still not much appetite though. I am a thin girl to begin with and have dropped about 10 pounds in a month. Just gotta keep eating like it or Not!

How are you today? Are you able to nap at all Yet?

Shane x

• Posted

I am a month on 10mg an week 20mg the anxiety was defeating me an i about stopped. But added little xanax when gets bad. Couldnt fight it anymore. Its helped.
  • Posted

It's worth a shot!!! Sometime the anxiety wakes me up at night. Every few nights I take a Benadryl to get sleepy and it seems to help with the jitters in the morning. You might want to try! Hang in there

• Posted

Definitely worth a shot. Can't get Worse! 😣 I Hope! Good tip about the Benadryl. Thanks! Shane

• Posted

Hi there. This is really a reply to all of you!

I'm 5 months in now and the morning anxiety was the last thing to go. It was horrendous to be honest but you all just have to keep going. I thought it would never end and really mine only cleared up properly about 5 weeks ago. I did have a blip a few weeks ago when I accidentally took too much which made the anxiety bad for a week!! I also seem to have issues with brand changes too, as mad as that sounds! But for all that, I am almost back to normal whatever that is!!! It's a nasty illness one which I wouldn't wish on anyone and when you feel better, it is very hard to forget about it as it's always in the back of your mind that it may come back. But all of you hang in there, it will get better. X

• Posted

My morning anxiety is due to not sleeping well. I take my citalopram in the afternoon about 2 pm. It really doesn't affect me anymore. I've been on 20mg for 30 days today. Try walking in the morning and while you are walking do belly breathing exercises. It will calm down the anxiety and drink plenty of water all day.

• Posted

Thanks Jonny, I will try that. I am 5 weeks tomorrow. 6 days on 10 mg and the rest at 20 MG. I am so impatient to get past this bloody morning anxiety. Feels worse than the anxiety that resulted in my doc prescribing this drug.

How are you doing overall after a month at 20 MG?

• Posted

I'm doing well, looks like this 20mg is all I need. I'm doing more, and I'm able to face my panic attacks head on. Before I would just lay in bed and be miserable all day. And you are correct mornings do suck. What I've been doing lately is set some goals for the day. I try to ride my bicycle or go walking. It has helped a lot, with my fear. Before I would have attacks just going to throw trash. You will get better, but remember don't expect the pills to do all the work. If morning anxiety keeps you in bed, get up and do something don't let it keep you down. Always remember that by staying there and being sick all day, is what it wants you to do. Do the opposite of what you did before, I'm taking it day by day. But the more I try to get up and do something the easier it is to deal with the anxiety. Cause trust me I had it bad, I mean really bad. Panic attacks daily, my life sucked. Now I can see some light, I can't wait to get a job again and be normal. It's gonna take time to teach or minds, but we will prevail. Stay positive and keep your head up 👍

• Posted

Thanks Jonny, your note made my day! Very inspirational and very good advise as well.

Thanks so much! Shane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.