Best time to take Fluoxetine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Started on Fluoxetine 20mg daily 2 weeks ago by my GP for anxiety / depression when I went to see him regarding some physical GI symptoms I am having investigated.

Have tried Citalopram many years ago and remember the vile weird heads it used to give me, and came off it because I couldn't function.  I am finding that Fluo is much easier on me and the heads haven't been as bad to manage, although I think I am jut getting used to them!

My question is about the best time to take Fluo?  My GP did say it should be the same time every day, but time of day was my choice.  As I am a shift worker switching days to nights within the week, I decided first thing in the morning so I could take either just before going to work, or just after I got home, and in around a 90 minute window each day.

However, I find my mornings are difficult.....I have that nauseous nervous tummy when I first get up and struggle for the first few hours.  That will settle, but then about 8hrs after taking it, I am yawning, yawning, yawning and simply could just lie down and have a kip (my boss wouldn't be too impressed!!).  My eyes feel strained and tired.  

despite the tense muscles, horrible dry mouth, dry skin and all the other horrible little annoyances I have to admit that I feel that the sense of impending doom and gloom I had is lifting slightly.

Does anybody have any suggestions re timings?

thank you in advance, hope you are all having a good day x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hun.. I was prescribed 10mg of fluoxetine and I taken it in the night for first 3 days for suffering generalised anxiety disorder and it kept me awake all night.. I have 5 small children too which doesn't help.. so I rang my psychiatric and he told me to take in the morning but I have now got the liquid medicine which gets in system quicker.. so I managed to take my 5th dose yesterday in morning and I felt so tired and yawny and lazy doesn't help I'm on pms too.. but then started having heart palpitations last night.. but I did manage to have better nights sleep.. all you can do is try take it a different time and see what suits you best Hun..

• Posted

Hi, I wonder about the same! I took fluo before sleeping for 7 weeks but now I have switched for the last week to the morning. So far I am a bit confused about what is best. I think I sleep better when taking it in the morning, and I think I have slightly more energy in the evening than before. But a bit too soon to draw any conclusions.

Good to hear you are feeling some good moments of lifting mood already at 2 weeks!

• Posted

I've only been on fluoxetine for a few weeks. I initially took it in the morning, but have switched to bedtime. It hasn't made too much of a difference. According to my pharmacist and nursing drug guide the most important thing is find a time that will help you take it as prescribed. For me, I have my prescription by my bed with a glass of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.