Best to start Citalopram on a very small does ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Seems to be a lot of well educated Citalopram users on here so thought this would be a good place to start. I am considering starting Citalopram for my Anxiety.......its been pretty rough over last 12 months so after talking with my doc he said you could try these they really help some but dont suit everyone. Would it be best to start on a very low dose 2.5mg for instance and gradually work up to the dose prescribed 10mg ? i know the low dose proabably wont help with the anxiety symptoms to start with but working up gradually might help me get started without some of the bloody awful side affects that are listed on here. thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If your suffering take the 10mg.

Reading your post reminds me of being the same.

Over cautious!

Frightened!

Very very anxious.

Your head won't explode, really it won't.

Be positive! Be strong!

Report Reply
  • Posted

Scott,

Are you sensitive to meds? If yes I would start at 5mg. It’s easier to cut in half rather than quarters.  I started at 10mg and after a week went down to 5mg and back up to 10mg where I am today which is week 20. I have no plan to raise it. I also take Xanax if needed especially for sleep. Keep a journal. Keep us posted and good luck. 👍🏼👍🏼😇😇

Will😎

Report Reply
  • Posted

I am super med sensitive and my doc actually did start me on 2.5mg of celexa. I increased every two weeks by 2.5mg. This was how I could best tolerate the med without extra side effects. Today I actually am at 15mg. I was doing pretty good at 10 but still not quite myself yet so I increased to 12.5 two weeks ago and went up to 15 today. Pretty much zero side effects just a long process. I do have Klonopin as needed. I feel like I'm getting better though.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Scott, so unfortunately for me cit just didn’t agree with me from day 1, whether it was psychosomatic I’m not sure! 

I felt like I hit a brick wall with my anxiety and was prescribed cit but I just couldn’t cope with the side effects, I gave up on day 4 as I literally wasn’t functioning and the loss of appetite knocked me for six! I know you have to give these kind of anti depressants time to kick in but I have 3 young children to look after and when I say the side effects were awful they were truley the pits for me!

I’m looking into alternative methods of help- like cbd oil,talking therapies and a private therapist to help combat my anxiety.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Scott, that is absolutely a good idea. Am currently taking 5mg myself, up from 2.5, and it has stopped my panic attacks and is easing my general anxiety.

I honestly believe there is not a bog standard 'therapeutic dose.' So much depends on build, hormones, sensitivity. How can it be possible that we all need the same amount?

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up