Beta blockers for dizziness/blurred vision

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

Been placed on beta blockers for dizziness/blurred vision. By my ENT guy & DR.

I'm 23 no life what so ever since October. Thought bout ending my life few times as Iv been depressed as it's come from nowhere. I'm now seeing counselling cause my issues! Sod off dizziness/ blurred vision!!

Anyone tried beta blockers?

And what you're thoughts?

They both said it helps with anxiety & migraine ( I get headaches too )

Xxx

0 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I tried beta blockers - really helped my anxiety esp panic attacks I was suffering at the time. Still got dizzy though as my BP was low anyway so stopped taking them. Topiramate is what's reduced the migs though.

• Posted

On them for 4 weeks before xmas. Would have liked to have stayed on them as they helped me not get the fight or flight panic symptoms but did make me dizzy so i couldnt drive at all and I need a car where I live. Its funny because they made me understand that panic dizziness is different from faintness though. I have anxiety counc too and am on low dose prozac and topiramate for migraines because the headaches blurry vision and lightheadedness got awful. Still not back at work but getting better slowly !
    • Posted

I'm dizzy every day since October.

So tbh with u I can't see no bloody different if I take them or not. My dr did say give it a month. I tried Prozac made me worse gave me the shakes & acted all weird ( I am only 23 & 5ft3 & size 6 some things really effect me )

Can I ask what is topiramate? Xx

• Posted

Yeah I am not sure prozac makes much difference. I had a few side effects at first (felt abit tingly and high on occassions)

Topiramate is a preventative for migraines. I tried everything else and this is the only one which seems to have reduced them - although I have stopped all alcohol too now and am off work so maybe it's just that. Still tired and lightheaded most days. It drives me mad! GP thinks I still get migraine symptoms without the crashing headaches so much. Migranes and anxiety can cause loads of weird symptoms. My advise is try to relax (sorry I know thats easier said than done) and take each day as it comes. Oh ... and are you eating enough ?? (Sorry if I sound like your mum!) Lyn x

• Posted

I was on the Prozac for 5 weeks didn't agree with me @ all from the get go. Beta blockers ( touch wood not effecting mentally Which I was worried about) . And the dr I like my dr now she said she was on them years ago for some exams and her mood wasn't effected just abit tired now & again & apparently you're blood pressure can go abit low.

BUT Prozac can effect people different my mums on them and hasn't any issues with them smile

Iv just googled the meds you told me about apparently they also work for epilepsy? Iv red a few people have been on them

For migraine/dizziness.

I also go counselling because of the depression/anxiety it has caused me as I feel like I need to talk to someone outside of the family & see if there is a route to this ( eg my parents divorce & coming back from working abroad hasn't helped me )

Haha no worries smile yes funnily I eat all the time. I'm a big foodie. I'm just v tiny & drs keep an eye on weight and from records Iv always been tiny and all bloods ect are all fine.

Do you do any form of excersize? As you're not @ work ATM? I feel you I'm not working ATM sad soo bored.

Do you do yoga or anything like that? Or do biking or anything ect?

Xxx

• Posted

Funnily enough I am starting yoga next thursday. I ve got to be a bit careful as I ve got a neuralgia problem in my neck which causes neck pain and headaches at the back too. Thats the main reason I am off work as I am waiting for an op for that (i am a primary school teacher) I hope that might help the headaches too but still think i ll get the migraine type symptoms and stress. I loved cycling last summer but since my dizzies got bad have had panic attacks esp when I am out. I really hate feeling lightheaded. So it sounds silly but I dont think I am well enough to go too mad cycling again yet. Unlike you I need to lose weight (size 14 now!) So have GOT to get off my bum and do something!
    • Posted

Yoga is meant to be really good!

Iv done it once and doing it again Monday smile the lady I have comes to me.

Let me know how you get on smile

Another good thing I liked doing was swimming as when you swim everything sort of float aways haha. Sounds mad but it's true. And I like biking but lately haven't been massive fan as I go with my friend who rides a horse and well I lost my horse 2 years ago & I miss riding so it sort of depresses me abit.

Let me know how the yoga goes smile

Good luck 👍😊❤️

I get that when I'm out in shop or whatever I get dizzy and panick I'm like crap ahh I'm gonna pass out and then I get depressed that I can't do normal every day things. I look @ people and think I just wanna be normal again. Hoping it will get easier for us 💜

Xxx

• Posted

I tried prozac bute made me bad i understand what your going through cos ive even lost my job over it ive had it a year now tried ever so many tablets none of them have worked im seeing a councillor cos i dont want to be here like this either drs dont understand it makes you feel like a recluise i went to see homeopath and a healer and the dizziness has lifted a bit x
  • Posted

Wherever you are, contact ambulance to tell them whenever you have the suicidal thoughts. They will assess you and give you treatment.
    • Posted

I don't need to call the ambulance it's just ' thoughts. As you feel down when you get a dizzy spell. I'm sure anyone would feel the same.

I go counselling and have family round me. But Ty lol.

• Posted

Hi Michelle Ive beta blockers a couple of times but didnt get rid of the dizziness.  Ive had epilepsy meds which made me feel just as dizzy and then made me depressed and suicidal.  I had to have a few days off work due to that problem.  I went back on nortriptylene for a while.  Not on any meds now waiting for botox on May 6,I know how you can feel suicidal its just so hard to deal with and the fact that it never stops, it feels like theres no end to it.  It ruins your eqilibrium so you feel really scared.  I had two panic attacks before I was diagnosed as \i thought I had MS,  I think we all feel much the same.  My diagnosis is silent migraine and nothing works to get rid of it.  Im trying to live with it and ignore it.  But I cant go out at night.  Im having botox on May 6 and if this doesnt work \i want to go to the dizzy clinic,

• Posted

Hello Paula

Well I hope the beta blockers work for me sad but I have feeling it won't for the dizziness/blurred vision.

Like you're self is can't go out anymore. & my friends think I'm just making excuses when I'm not. I get so dizzy sometimes I have to hold into things. How embarrassing can't even walk in a shop long sad

Let me know how the Botox goes when you getting that done? X

• Posted

Hi Michelle My botox is on May 6.  Ive had topiramate and it made me very depressed so much so I felt suicidal so I stopped them.  My next lot of drugs was going to gabapentin which sounds like it could be a good one.  Ill have to see how the botox goes.  I realise now Ive gone from not being able to set foot in a shop to shopping all friday and saturday so I have improved a lot.  Im just frustrated that I am still dizzy. I wore myself out so much I have spent today sleeping.  I think your brain works harder sorting out your vision that you end up absolutely shattered. My dream would be to go back dancing and ski ing.  Both of which needs perfect balance which I used to have. I doubt that will ever come back.  When this first started they said I had a viral infection but clearly two and a half years on, that cannot be the case and theyve ended up saying its silent migraine.  I think thats just cos they have no idea really. 
    • Posted

Hi Paula and Michelle - sorry to sneak in on your conversation ! I am on topiramate (as michelle knows now) think it helped abit quite strong though but might be not working so less stress at the mo or the fact I ve completely stopped any alcohol which has helped heads abit. I am on gabapentin for occipital neuralgia possibly due to neck problem awaiting a CT scan. Still dizzy/lightheaded and have some silent migraine symptoms. Some days much worse than others. Like you Paula my doc said it was post viral 18 months ago, then ear infection, then sinuses, then vertigo plus migraine now neuralgia and migraine ... oh and surprise surprise anxiety. In the meantime I am rapidly losing my career and sanity. (Think I might ask the goldfish for a diagnosis - he'd probably have a better idea of what's wrong !)
    • Posted

Hi Lynn  I have found that working helps.  I finished my last contract in dec and then had six weeks off and it drove me mad.  Luckily I got my current contract Jan 14.  Not too stressful thank goodness but keeps my mind off it.  I do four days a week and I honestly could not do another day.  I cant go out at night because of the dizziness and the tiredness.  I have neuralgia in my cheeks and jaw and neck but they say its all part of silent migraine.  I can now control the anxiety which this forum has helped me with.  Initially I had two panic attacks as I thought I had MS and my best friend thought I was making excuses to not go to rock and roll.  I was so scared about what might be wrong and that I would be the same forever.  Plus the constant dizziness which was much worse then, just drove me mad until I couldnt stand it anymore.  So managed to keep my career but nothing like to the same extent I had it before.  The lighting affects me drastically and sometimes I cannot set foot in large stores like ASDA then other times Im OK.  It can change on a minute by minute basis.  My ears have gone full and pulsating now since I started typing on here.  On a funny note Ive had to have my eyebrows redone because last time I had botox it gave me the appearance of wonky brows.  Embarrassing but then I dont go out so who cares !! Luckily I am a lot older so staying in permanently isnt so bad as it could have been.  But giving up the latin and ballroom which I love is bad.  Now putting on weight.
    • Posted

Me too havent done any exercise since I ve been signed off work now size 14 and increasing (i am a school teacher - aged 50 this yr) awaiting a procedure which will hopefully help the neuralgia headaches. Must get out walking but hate the dizzies!

This site is great. What job do you do. Well done for keeping it up.

• Posted

ENT said it was migraine vertigo

I'm actu waiting on my dr to call me today as my neck has been hurting last couple days & tingling headaches on & off. So wanna get that looked at. Terry thing it was below said to me too have alook into it so thought worth a try.

Hope you have a good day Hun smile xx

• Posted

Interesting you say tingling too. Are your pains one sided? Mine are left back of head mainly sometimes thru to my eye and I get dizzy and tingly down my head alot. I saw a neurolgist who thinks I have occipital neuralgia and neck stiffness often confused with migraine or can be with migraine too (and can cause dizziness) Have a google of occipital neuralgia and see what you think. I am waiting for a surgical procedure to try to release the nerve and nerve block injections for the pain. xx
    • Posted

My dr rang me and she said come in today I'm going there in about 20mins

So I shale let you know. It really heavy and stiff today. And my dr said you're correct it could possibly be linked.

Good luck with the op hunn

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Im a PA. A couple of years ago I had a really high powered career working late every night and getting really involved with everything then I volunteered for redundancy and stepped down to being a PA in a much smaller company. Im doing the same now. No late nights, no weekends. Not much stress. I have pins and needles over the top of my head and pain at the back on left hand side., Its where the corrugator muscle threads thru your head and irritates the trigeminal nerve. Botox stops this hence my appointment on May 6.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.