Betablockers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ,

I was given propranolol for heart racing/ palpitations . I am taking 10mg 4 times a day . I've been suffering for months with bad racing heart and I'm so tired . One beta blocker helped straight away . But , 1 hour after I take them I get a heaviness and slight squeezing in my throat and chest . After a while it settles down a bit . On them 3 days and this is the first time in months I've no racing heart , i can relax . Does anyone know if this is a serious side effect and I need to stop ?

Antidepressants don't work for me and these betablockers already have given me 3 days of life back. But I don't like the symptom of a tight chest. Any advice would be appreciated .

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Beta blockers are really good with slowing down the heart although it can also lower your blood pressure buttt besides all of that don't stop taking them but ease up I think 4 a day is way too many special if your already getting positive results I'd say two a day.. but definitely ask your dr first to make sure it's ok but I think it is.. my dr prescribed me to take 2 a day and prescribed  it for 6 months I was like waahhhh your want me to take 250 pills that's too much. In my eyes .. but my heart rate isn't bad it's just bad when I get anxiety or I'm nervous at every appointment my heart rate was 113 or more so he thought I just had high heart rate when really I was just scared to be there.. but when I'm home my resting heart rate is in the 80-95 area so I thought all those pills where pointless.. but the beta blocker I took did have me feeling a bit more relaxed .. hope this helped ??

• Posted

Thank you for your advice . My doctor prescribed me 10mg 4 times a day as I have the palpitations and racing heart non stop , not just on nervous occasion sad even at rest it was well over 110 beats . I'm more concerned about the chest heaviness and throat heaviness 1 hour after the medication rolleyes 3 days on them I'm hoping it's start up side effects. Honestly nothing else has ever worked for me before . So worried it's a severe side effect

• Posted

I don't think so even though I stopped taking bets blockers I still get chest tightness that can just be from anxiety tbh.. beta just slows the heart not fix the physical symptoms from anxiety.. I think your fine but still discuss the worries your have with your dr so u can be more at peace 

• Posted

I called my gp in the finish and he said it's not uncommon for chest heaviness to be there for the first while . He said I can drop down to two or 3 a day if they're working already so you were right smile Just hope this awful side effects wears off soon . Feels like someone is sitting on my chest

• Posted

Hi Jmk92

Just checking you don't have asthma....

Beta blockers can make asthma worse so care should be taken. Just wondering as you said it is affecting your chest and throat.

• Posted

Hi,

Yeah I have asthma , my doctor has me well prepared and my peak flow and oxygen is on point . Obviously if I get wheezy or peak flow drops I've to stop immediately . I called him and he said it's not uncommon for people to have this side effect when just starting. Hopefully it goes away soon

• Posted

That's great that he's monitoring it, just wanted to make sure you're aware.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks a mill !

Just hope this side effect wears away , this is the first tablets in 4 years that is doing anything to help me . Don't want to quit it over a heavy chest feeling sad

• Posted

It took a couple of weeks for the initial side effects to settle down with me. Give it time and hopefully the side effects will subside but if the heaviness is still bothering you have another chat with your doctor.
    • Posted

Thanks so much your advice has helped . My doctor told me today to lower my dosage until I'm able to up it to 10mg 4 times a day . Currently on 10 mg 2 times a day and going to stay like this until the heaviness goes . Good to hear the side effects to subside !

• Posted

I also take propranolol 10mg, but just once a day. It's just for racing heart, to calm your heart. But it's not really cure anxiety. Your squeezed in throat and chest feelings is due to anxiety. Anxiety makes our body tense and usually our chest and throat feels that the most. Sometimes also head tension that feels like head band around our head. I hv all that too. Try to move or stretch your shoulder and try relaxing breathing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.