Bi lateral knee replacements

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a bi lateral knee replacements nearly 4 weeks ago.  My problem is I am allergic to most analgesics so taking paracetamol and Nefopam which is helping.  Both knees still badly swollen and bruised, dreading going to bed at night because have to lie on my back and not comfortable.  Now getting shooting pains in both knees for no reason and to be very truthful it is depressing me.  I'm continuing with my exercises but when will I see an improvement and be able to sleep on my side again because at the moment it's impossible

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  Are you icing and elevating as much as possible?  This can help a lot.  Not everyone finds it helpfu but I have found using a TENS machine works for me.  It will get better.  Keeping positive is really hard but bear in mind what your body has been through. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny yes I'm doing the icing and elevating but haven't tried the TENS machine.  I feel my biggest problem is not being able to sleep at night.  I'm still glad I got them both done at once though

• Posted

I am 6weeks post op but just one knee TKR!  I used arnica cream on my bruise and that helped.  I had to sleep on my back before operation and it is hard to get used to but it might be possible to experiment with sleeping on your side for a bit with a pillow between your legs.  Unfortunately night time is a matter of constant re adjustment!  How much are you elevating and icing?  I know they say normally just 20 mins every couple of hours but I found as long as I stuck a tea towel between the ice packs and kept moving the position around it was possible to ice for much longer, and it does offer some pain relief.  The other thing I have done is put some lavendar oil on my pillow.  I seem to be quite tense when I go to sleep and it helps me relax.  marilyn's got brilliant suggestions...it's a matter of accepting it and going with the flow, and constantly being kind to yourself.   Massaging (gently) your legs (towards your heart) when they are elevated might also help reduce swelling?   Anything that feels good is worth doing!!!  

• Posted

I think you extremely brave Marika, one at a time is bad enough. Hats off to you!!

At 4 weeks you are still very early in recovery, you've had double butchery performed on you! It will be a while until things settle. Most people say that you notice a difference after 6 to 12 weeks, for single TKR, not sure with bilateral.

I'm afraid you will have to bear with it for a bit longer, no one can really say when things will improve as we are all individuals & recover at different rates. The worst is sleeping! Or rather lack of! That is the same bilateral or not, we all go through it! Just try & get some coping mechanisms going. I used to listen to music when I couldn't sleep & was uncomfortable. Some iced throughout the night, some walked or stretched. Find your coping mechanism in order just to relax. Nap during the day, if you are tired have forty winks. A power nap can help no end!

As a side sleeper I know how horrible it is having to try to sleep on your back! That drive me almost demented!!

Just do what you should, ice, elevate & rest & do your exercises. They are so important, you do not want to go through all this to find you still cannot flex & bend! Your Physio will certainly want you doing it!!

All the best, stay in touch.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn thanks for the reply I made a mistake it's 3 weeks today since my surgery that's me trying to run before I can walk, pardon the pun.  I'm still managing the exercises every 2 hours although painful.  Spoke to the Gp today who said she doesn't know how I'm managing just on paracetamol and Nefopam but with my allergies and sensitivitys to most strong analgesics.  I have no option but all is good.  I sleep when I need it now as advised. Nice chatting with youxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.