Bi-lateral TKR update

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 17 weeks post op bilateral knee replacements and was doing PT consistently 3 times a week.  It's been a rough road and although I haven't ever had depression this process has really messed with my mind.  The pain, the time commitment to exercise with such tiny improvements, feeling slow and broken - it all took a toll on my spirits.  Last week my surgeon and I agreed it was time to schedule manual manipulation under anesthesia.  I was very nervous about the procedure but it was quick and the pain after was minimal. My surgeon said its now up to me because he has done all he can.  The results were great and I am now walking well, doing stairs without a cane and feeling my age not 40 years older.  I had pt the next day and scheduled 2 more sessions this week.  Prior to this there was no way I could have done 3 appointments in a row due to pain and swelling.  I am a little sore but nothing compared to how I felt just a week ago.  I have slept with a small pillow between my knees since January.  This morning I woke up and realized I didn't use my little pillow at all.  I slept great (still on some meds) but no tossing and turning.  Woo Hoo! Life is starting to feel normal.  I am fully committed to getting both knees completely straight and although pt said their goal is 120 flexion my goal is 125 or better.  

If if you feel blocked and your pt is not driving results I recommend you meet with your surgeon to talk about options.  I also decided to only work with the physical therapist that really pushes me and tries new exercises.  The other girl was really nice but I had to go with my gut.  This journey has been the toughest thing I have ever had to face.  I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm hoping my story will give you a little more strength to get through yours.  Good luck. 

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 8 weeks out bilateral and I love to hear when things are on an upswing. Get discouraged at times from pain and slow progress but keeping chin up.Want to hit 60 with a good set of knees! Thanks for the positive feed!
  • Posted

Glad to hear things are coming along well for you!😃 It goes to show that each person is different, requiring different strategies, procedures, and techniques that match THEIR needs!

What is most important is to speak up when things just don't seem to be going right. I ask A LOT of questions. Always have. I really like to know why I need to do something before I can get invested in doing it.

I got off the narcotics at two weeks. They made me very loopy and tired. I also would be holding something, and it would just drop out of my hand! My brain just didn't seem connected to the rest of my body!

I tried to stay very calm and positive. I was very fortunate to have an extremely intuitive and skilled physical therapist who knew exactly when to push and when to back off.

At nearly a year since my first knee replacement and seven months since the second, I am able to do pretty much everything I used to do before the osteoarthritis hit in earnest. Healing continues into the first year, I'm told. What a journey we all have had!!!😃

Wishing you continued success!😁

• Posted

Hi Marsha,

So happy you are doing better now! I am 14 mo post op bilateral TKR. I am doing great now! 135' flex in each knee and 0'extension. I had good ROM from the beginning, but I had a very slow and painful recovery. My left healed slower but it finally did.My muscles were very weak. I had very tight IT bands. I went to PT 3x a week for the first 4 months then 1x/wk for the next 9 months. My PT has been wonderful! I don't know that I could have done it with out her. I also, have never really been depressed ......got very depressed almost from the beginning. Took me about 6 mo to get through it. I lost too much weight too. At 6 months, my recovery was far from over though i was back at work as an Occupational Therapist. It took along time, but I now walk very well. My legs are strong and my knees are stable. Also no longer bow legged. I can walk or even hike 7-8 miles now. Everything is finally and continuing to improve. Though I know worse things could have happened to me, it was by far the hardest thing I've been through!

Just wanted wish you good luck on the rest of your journey. Hopefully you will be more patient than me,

• Posted

Hi after having a massive meltdown yest your post was what i needed today! Im 14 wks po and struggling! Im walking badly! I waddle my physio has said hes happy with my knee so iv had my 6 sessions and thats that! He said its my core thats weak and causing me to walk badly! So im continuing with knee exercises but trying hard to strengthen core! I have an appt with physio tues!

My bend is only 95 but wasnt good before. I went to see surgeon who said xrays looked good alls ok so they didnt need to see me again!

I am going back to work after nxt wk and am so worried as to how i wil cope! I havent been paid for a few wks so need to! I tried to help at my local flowerclub lunch yest and came home exhausted and so upset! I was stiff and achy! I had a total meltdown! This is really making me depressed now. I just want to walk better!

• Posted

So sorry to hear your struggling... U are not alone, I'm 9 weeks in tkr n at 97 degree bend. We are just the lucky slow pokes.  Ha ha. We Tkr people got to stay strong , blowing healing prayers your way 😇🍀
  • Posted

Wow...you just described exactly how I'm feeling. I was just about to start a new discussion as to WHY this particular surgery, TKR as opposed to other ills we could have, cancer etc. WHY the TKR brings a person's spirits mind body and soul soo down?

My personality has dramatically changed for the worse...and you described it so well.

But it sounds like the manipulation is the answer! I can't wait until next Wednesday when i have my 6th wk post op doctors appt! Im going to insist on the manip.!

Thank you Marsh for giving me hope and all the best to you!

• Posted

Hey David, how did ur appointment go?

sounds like ur a good candidate for revision. 

I k ew you'd be a handsome dude!☺️ Hope u get things sorted ou!!!

• Posted

My appt was a SHAM! Holistic Schmolistic!

It was like a Benny Hill comedy show! This tiney tiny little Orthodox Jewish Doctor all of about 5' tall and 80 lbs with his kippah on and his tallit under his shirt performed some hocus pocus on me.

The guy was soo feeble i was afraid he'd fall over and die any minute, yet hes talking about holistic medicine.

After about 30 minutes of rubbing my head and tickling my neck ( which actually did feel good! I got goosebumps down my back, lol) he asked if it helped i said, "well if anyone tickled my neck it'd feel good!"

Then the coup de gras was when he finally wrote me a prescription for....you ready??? He tells me I need STRYCNINE! 😦

I said but that's RAT POISON?

He says, " scary huh?"

WTF????

Then he goes on to tell me how to dilute it into ...i don't know...like 1 part per 1000 blah blah blah....

He said come back in 3 weeks if you're still alive!

Omg...then i noticed there was a pig farm in the back of his building. His office was in this pastoral part of the country...really pretty.

But i realized he probably kills his patients and feeds them to the pigs!

Well there went $193 for nothing!!!

So the heck with HOLISTIC Medicine!!!

No hyperbole....that was ALL TRUE!

(ok...it wasn't a pig farm...but they were chickens...so what? Chickens eat meat...no???

• Posted

I just wrote this long story about my appt.

I dont see it now.

Did it go thru...or???

• Posted

YES!!!!!!and I haven't stopped laughing!  Actually had a real belly laugh, I owe YOU $193. Well at least ur sense of humor is still intact . 

I was telling my husband tonite that u r such a funny guy, but that u were so depressed that u claimed it was changing ur personality. Well, no worries, u are still you😅🤗 thank god! Did u really say if anyone tickeled my neck it would feel good!!?? Hysterical.

ur funny and good looking, where are all the girls dying to take care of you?😝💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻👯👯👯🙎🏻

• Posted

After 3 surgeries I've used the good ones all up...and burnt bridges with the semi decent ones...and now it's like I'm the proverbial boy that "cried wolf" one too many times.

No ones listening 😕😞

Fyi...it was a TRUE story! I didn't make that Holistic thing up...( except the pigs were chickens)

• Posted

Thanks for the update and the uplifting message. Jim sure this will be very helpful to a lot of peeps out here.

glad ur doing much better. I'm 5 months post op and doing pretty well. My pt masted for 3 mo this, one at home and then 2 mos. outpatient. My rom was about 118- 120 + if pt really forced it. I find I still stiffen up, par for the course. Today I literally forced myself to go to my exercise class at a place for 50+ 's . I know I must go to retain my flexibility and rom. 

Kudos to u for doing bilateral. I can't even imagine. This was bad enough. I just don't look forward to having other knee done. I'm sure that's why some do both, cause they know they'll probably never go back😝😱😄

• Posted

I hear all your saying!!!   And sooooo very happy to hear your feeling better n up n about. I'm 9 weeks post op n get very discouraged at times. I'm at 97 degrees bend. Have been putting off manual manipulation due to fear of procedure/pain. Every day i feel like I'm going thru some type of torture thru the pushing n prodding of exercise n pt.  however ea day I try to put on that happy face n work thru. Suppose to see doc in 3 weeks. Probably will discuss the manipulation. I just don't know??? But I'll do what I have to do.  It sounds like the mm worked out for you. U have given me something to think about.  At this point I just don't want anymore on going pain from another procedure.  Did you stay overnight in hospital. Or did u get to go home the same day?  Thanks for your post.  Everyone in this community is so thoughtful n understanding.  🙀
  • Posted

4 weeks ago I got bothe knees done expected pain but not to this degree but what's worst is the depression I feel I can't cope is this normal
    • Posted

Hi Ann, I am 8 weeks post op bilateral tkr an yes depression does seem a normal event. What helped me was the positive reinforcement from my friends and my physical therapists. It does get easier but some days I still feel like staying under my covers all day. Getting stronger everyday and as my PT says..remember you had both knees done and are doing as well as those who had one tkr. It will all be worth it! Chin up and keep on this site... Everyone is great and gives lots of tips to get u through
    • Posted

And also keep up on pain meds at your stage. I am pretty much past scripts and taking Tylenol as I can't take ibuprofen though I think it's the best choice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.