Bicycling

Posted , 9 users are following.

My physio recommended I try cycling (stationary). As I'm still unable to fully rotate the pedals she said to go "forward and backwards", rotating them as far as I could until, eventually, I would be able to rotate fully. 

All was going well until a few days back when my un-operated side foot slipped off the pedal which allowed the TKR side to fully rotate.

Well, ouch to say the least!! It killed (not literally obviously), but it hurt greatly may I say? After a few tears popped out, and much gnashing of teeth went on, my leg ached tremendeously for a while and swelled quite a lot. I immediately iced it and rested (and haven't been near the bike again).

My question is, could I have damaged it? Now the flex I'm able to do is less than before and the pain, while not too bad, is certainly a little more. 

Thank you. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I doubt if you injured it. You probably tore a little scar tissue which would have to be done eventually but not with that sort of trauma. Just work on it slowly and stay with the claim meds. On the the bike, push to the top and hold for count of 10 then reverse and do the same. Eventually it will give and you'll be peddling freely
    • Posted

Once again you are amazing. A visit to my physio confirmed what you've said, I've just torn away some scar tissue. I'm a bit afraid to try again, but I will. Thank you.
  • Posted

I had a similar thing happen after being able to pedal completely backwards which caused me to avoid even trying again for a long time.  I know now as OLFG said that it was scar tissue.  Eventually after being pushed by my physio,as I had sufficient bend to be able to pedal backwards, I tried again and was able to do it.  Keep trying.....you will succeed.  

• Posted

I don't know, but I would THINK that is entirely possible.

Maybe a visit to your doctor and possibly an X-ray or ultrasound?

I hope you feel better real soon!

• Posted

I visited my physio and she said it was scar tissue being forcibly pulled away - ouch, Thanks. 
  • Posted

Hi Lorene 

raise you bike seat while trying to rotate pedal it will get easier in a few weeks . And no you can't do damage to your knee by cycling ..the surgeon told me it was one of the best exercises i could do to get knee working well . I couldn't turn pedal at four weeks post op by seven weeks I could go on my own bike with raised sadal so  I entered a bike event ..and proudly completed that fifty miles cycle event . I thought to myself if I have to stop there will be a guy comming behind us to pick us up ...I asked the doc he said go for it I raised sadal as my knee was still a bit sticky on rotation of pedals .and as I can't damage it all good went for it ..I am not one of these thin young cyclist ...I am 15 stone and on the wrong side of fifty cycle occassally before op ..so I would say to you go for it the more exercise the quicker the recover ..swimming really good as well ..remember the more you exercise the better it got ..listen to your body of course ..good luck 

• Posted

Thanks. I'm afraid to try again but I will. I'm doing hydrotherapy which is easier (no gravity, which is a bummer. I'm not as fit as you - could not even think of riding that far. 
  • Posted

You may have just overdone it so rest it and ice it as OFG said. You will find you can cycle backwards to begin with, but eventually you will do the forward motion. I used to swing back and forth and then hey presto! Have the seat at its highest. Only in the last couple of weeks I have tried just putting a little resistance on to cycle. I am now used to it and tomorrow I am going to lower the seat slightly to see if I can get a better bend going. Also watch your feet.  On the operated leg your foot will 'cheat' try to keep it straight if you can and you will feel the effect of the bend with that also.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. I will try backwards - I can't have the seat very high cause I'm very short!!
  • Posted

no you didnt more like you did your  own MUA  ID SAY YOU HAVE MORE BEND IF ANYTHING ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SHOES ON WHILE ON THE BIKE RUNNERS WOULD BE EVEN BETTER LESS LIKELY TO SLIP please go on the bike its so good to keep the knee moving
    • Posted

I did have good shoes on but I will try again as soon as the worst of the pain is over. Thanks for your advice. 
    • Posted

Lorene when I say raise the seat on the bike I mean the one in the gym raise it till your toes are touching pedals will make it bearable as time passes eventually your foot fully on the pedal initially useing your good foot to help your weak leg to push and pull pedal . Once you can do this you will feel less pain and this will give you the encouragement to continue ..remember lorene it will help take that pain away quicker 
    • Posted

i agree with you paul i remember at the begining after my bi lateral i was doing excersises and was feeling very sore ,a few days later i had a physio appointment and told her of this pain and that i took a break from excersises to rest it she said no you cant do that you still need to do the excersises no matter it will ease it and she was right since all that ive had revision and have remembered it and anytime now (im 12mths post op )that ive pain i do the excersises and especially the bike it loosens it and i think lorene should not let pain put her off all that slip could have done is improve the bend
    • Posted

Thank you irish Linda 

it it is funny that you need to do the exercise to get lesson the pain . The one thing I remenber is going to the physio weekly ...the pain was starting to get worse  she gave me new exercises and the pain would lesson within a day . It's all about pushing yourself to doing exercises thus improving your knee ..I liken it to oiling a joint to stop it siezing up ....exercise is the oil ..two years post op TKR  I do a lot of cycling I have no pain ..no swelling you for get you have a new knee until you go to bend down ..it is the best decision I have made ..take care 

• Posted

no lorene you must do it now trying wont get you back walking get up on the bike and go back and forth and keep doing it the fact you broke scar tissue is good mua is about breaking scar tissue  so get moving please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.