Big conference tomorrow. Worried about my Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be big conference tomorrow. There will be about 1500 people there and the event is 9-6 so a long day. I'm really worried about having a panic attack there and I'm getting nervous and panicky already. Has anyone ever been to something similar and coped with their Anxiety? Any tips for if I start getting anxious?

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you usually react badly in those types of situations?
    • Posted

Nothing really. I just have to ride it out. I try breathing exercises, muscle relaxation, distraction etc and they all help to a certain extent but usually I just have to ride it out.
    • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
  • Posted

Hi,

Sounds really strange but I have a couple of things that help me, I always have a packet of extra strong mints when I feel a little anxious and it starts I suck on s mint, I also have a little bit of fabric from home that I rub between my fingers, sounds odd for some reason it seems to help.

I always praise myself as well, at half time I would tell myself how well I've done and the fact that I have got through so many hours and not many more to go.

You will be fine , just remember it's anxiety and beat it for the day!!! 👍

Hope it goes wellx

• Posted

Find a friend and stick together.  It is ok to tell them you are worried about anxiety during the conference and if you know them well, ask them to stick close and get you out of there if things begin to be too much for you.  Go take some dip breaths and relax.  Deep breathing, done 4-5 times can lower anxiety greatly.  Tell yourself that you CAN get thru this with no problems and believe it.  Now, you may or may not get thru it completely, but don't give up on yourself.  Situational anxiety is very common.  Google it and see what is recommended.  Use what is right for you and toss what does not.  Same goes for advice.  What works for one may not be optimal for another but never forget that there is hope and lots of wonderful, compassionate people who have been thru similar things and are willing to help others.  Reach out to others.  The worse they can do is say no and you find even a better person to reach out to.  Good luck.  You would be amazed if you knew how many of the other 1499 people were as or more anxious than you!
  • Posted

Dont they have a medicine you only use for when you have to give a speech or something. I think its also a blood pressure medicine but people use it just the once when needed. The mint idea sounds good actually too if you dont have the medicine it sure will side track your senses nicely. Altoids are potent mints. And have a water bottle with you so if your mouth gets dry you can drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.