Biking

Posted , 3 users are following.

At gym there are two options for biking. I am using the one like at physical therapy but wondered about the bike where it's more of a traditional bike where seat moves up and down vs back and forth to get rotation. Tonight did traditional one where seat slides up or back  then tried a little of bike where seat goes up and down. Question is ~ is there a difference in using the two different bikes or is it all the same. 3 mos struggle to maintain 120. I mean will one day knee will just be able to go a little further because of biking? I do about 25 minutes + currently

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

That's a good warm-up before your stretching and leg strength exercises.  I believe the only requirement is that you get a full leg extension (0 degrees straight) when you bike.  Full rotation.

• Posted

It's interesting my physical therapist seems more concerned about measurement of bend than straightness although I am working now in that too. So bike does both ROM and straightening if I understand you correctly? And it doesn't matter what bike is used? Thank you Chico.

• Posted

I believe that as long as you can get that full rotation with the bend when it comes up and the straight leg when it goes down, I haven't heard anything on preference as to type of bike.  Anyone else know something more on this?  Has anyone tried a recumbent bike?

• Posted

Thanks gives me something to think about as PT always says on recumbent style bike to move seat close up to get deep bend which can be painful at times and hasn't aided in getting past 120 also being higher or closer up deeper bend but full extension not sure I get  at all just bend. But you having much experience say full rotation and straight On extension is optimal. This is good. TY

• Posted

I would say recumbent style bike would be better for improving flexion because as you say the closer you move the seat the deeper the bend but due to the style the pressure would push you back into the seat where an upright bike would lift you upwards. I have a tendency to lift my hip up when my leg is bent I just can't help it. My physio yesterday told me to reach over my body with my right hand to basically pin the hip down to prevent myself from doing this when carrying out flexion exercises 

• Posted

Thanks so much for reply. Did you have left k we replaced? That's why you use right hand to cross over? I too tend to lift up sometimes raise up out of seat a little lol 

• Posted

Yes it was my left knee. I think we just do it automatically because we anticipate pain. It's a simple thing to do but very effective

• Posted

I should try this in the opposite. My right knee was replaced. Which flexion exercise do you do this on?
    • Posted

Mainly the one where you bring your leg as far back as possible sat on a chair and use the other leg to bring it back further to the point of pain and hold.  Was finding before when I got to the point of pain I would lift the hip up slightly but by putting your weight over the hip it stops you doing it. I've noticed a difference in flexion already and I was only told to do this yesterday 

• Posted

Oh I don't know this one. So just to be clear I sit on a chair. Then bend surgery knee toward the back of the chair and hold for a few seconds release leg putting foot back in front with other one. 

• Posted

Try and bend operated knee backwards and cross good leg in front to push it back further I've been told to pull it back to point of pain and hold for 30 seconds 

• Posted

Wow, this sounds painful but I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I can do this! Thanks for the advice
    • Posted

Remember just pull it back to the point of pain and hold. It shouldn't be excruciating pain you'll only cause more swelling

• Posted

Thank you for reminder as sI still truggle with swelling which I suspect is a component of difficulty in gaining in ROM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.