Bilateral partial knee replacement 3 weeks ago advice needed.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi advice needed. 3 weeks yesterday I had bilateral partial knee replacements Andy I have been doing really well. Full mobility and great movement. I am a competitive ballroom and Latin dancer ( an overweight one), and therefore very fit. Yesterday I went swimming for the first time then helped out at the ballroom doing a gentle lesson. This morning my right knee is painful and very swollen above the knee cap. I have applied ice regularly. Have I done to much ? Anyone had experience of how much exercise the knees can take at this stage. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was like you , 2 weeks after surgey Im already walking and cooking. By 4th week im driving and shopping 6 weeks I beg my doctor to releae me so I can go to work, i still costantly icing it ,in the morning and before going to bed.

My doctor told me the swelling start because Im over doing it so need to slow down.

• Posted

Have I done too much?  Yes. Swelling is ALWAYS the #1 indicator that you pushed the knee too far.  After doing 8,200+ steps at 7 weeks and looking down to see a balloon where my knee was that night, I never made that mistake again. I used a FitBit to find my pain point, backed off and increased gradually.  Worked the whole holiday season part time on my feet at Best Buy logging 11,000+ steps a day (5 miles) with no problem at 8-9 months.  You have to work up to that very gradually.

As for dancing...sure...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

COMPETITIVE dancing is a whole other issue.  One wrong twist of the knee and you're toast.  I had to give up competitive hockey after 45 years.  I really believe that using the words "TKR" and "competitive" in the same sentence is not only oxymoronic but dangerous to your health.  After my hip replacement in 2009, I asked my doc when I could get back on my skates.  He told me that if I went back to hockey, my hip would last 3 years; if I gave it up, 25.  Easy choice...very tough mentally...but really a no-brainer.  After knee surgery, life changes...but everyone makes their own choices...  Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you for the list CHICO MARX. Will certainly have to re evaluate my life 
    • Posted

Just sayin'...  I know it's tough to hear but that's the reality.  I've seen competitive dancers...damn, youzeguyz are really good!!!  The danger is that one, simple, innocent twist.  Can you get it fixed?  Sure...but the second one is ALWAYS never as good as the first.  

Competitive waltzes?  Probably.  Swing and jitterbug?  I'd have to give that some serious thought.  Imagine yourself on the dancefloor doing a fabulous maneuver and the knee lets go.  I'm thinking "heap of quivering, screaming protoplasm"...  I had the same thought about returning to hockey.  All it takes is that one twist in the wrong direction and all that medical science and personal recovery time and work goes down the drain.  Meditate on it.  I know people on here who went right back to double-black diamond skiing.  Good luck to them.  Personally, I wouldn't risk it at 69.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.