Bilateral TKRs - how long in between?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had my right TKR on 10 Oct ‘17 so I am just over 7 weeks post op. PT was happy to stop Sessions (I had 3 after I left hospital) as I had achieved over 100 ROM at 6 weeks post op. I saw my Consultant at 7 weeks post op and achieved 110 ROM and do not need a stick any longer.  My problem now is with my left knee which he has put me back on the list to have replaced saying I should be in line for the op in Jan:Feb time. 

I am looking forward to getting it over and done with as want to then take time to heal properly as I know it takes a year or so to completely recover. 

I’d just like to hear from those of you who have had both knees done and what time did you leave in between ops?

Many thanks

Janette

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jay,

i had had my first Feb 17 , the second July 25,2017.

Had a good outcome with first, the second is taking a bit longer but it was my worst kneeat 110 Rom at present.

Quite daunting having two close together I really had to use pma to go forward with second.  Life at the end of the tunnel but I’m still envisaging anothersix months to get where I want to be. 

Won’t lie it’s been testing but both done now and behind me, the future can only be bright.

Good Luck 😀😀😀

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know why your surgeon left your worst knee to be done after the better one? I’ve had my worst one done first as it was making my tub and fib slant outwards where the arthritis had eaten away more on the outer side.  I must admit for the first week post op I felt I may have done the wrong thing by agreeing to have it done, the pain was excruciating. However, after the first 10 days I was seeing a definite improvement and even at that early stage I was able to put weight on it with less pain than I had prior to the op when climbing stairs.  Now, although under 8 weeks post op I am feeling great difference and my problem is with the knee that is still riddled with arthritis.  

Thank you I’ll update as I go on. 

• Posted

It was my choice, the lesser kneedone first because it was locking and periods of time on crutches. The other knee more bent and previously had an op on it 40 yrs ago. My consultant said both my kneecaps were on the side, whatever that means!, I had resurfacing as well.
    • Posted

Hi Jackie

Ah yes mine would lock in position often and the crack after getting it to bend or straighten then used to surprise/shock people lol thankfully it will never again. 

I’m happy that it’s turned out well for you, hoping I’ll follow suit. 

Regards, J 

• Posted

Hi, I had my left knee replaced in November 2015 and right one in June 2017. Think I am one of the lucky ones as fortunately I have had very little problems. I was diligent about excercising, icing and proper rest , but can now walk easily with no discomfort. My surgeon has been excellent and I have valued his advice.

Hard work but so worth it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Rosemary

Thank you for your reply.   That sounds a really  good experience of the ops that you have had. Was it your choice to wait that length of time before having the 2nd knee done or your surgeon’s. 

I have also been quite conscientious about exercising properly and am now back at work.  It is still quite swollen but certainly not too painful and I’m off painkillers for the new knee but have to take them for the bad one.  I really just want to get it all over and done with so I can heal and get my life back on track. 

Thank you, will update along the way. 

• Posted

I had my right knee replaced two years ago and luckly had no bother at all. My left knee had my kneecap removed cleaned up and put back in age 15 I'm now 68 and after all those years l am having it replaced Jan 3rd. I am extra worried this time hoping for no complications my Consultant isn't worried so hope my confidence improves  Hopefully we should both have a new knee in the new year Good Luck X

• Posted

Hi Laura

Great that you had no probs with your knee replacement 2 yrs ago.  Did you have a GA for it or spinal block?  I first decided on the spinal for mine then got worried about what I’d hear during the op drilling etc so told the anaesthetist I wanted a GA and he persuaded me to have the spinal as the recovery was so much easier (I’m 64 and asthmatic). It was fine and I’ll definitely go for the spinal again and I would recommend it to anyone. During the op he kept me sedated to a certain level where I knew where I was and what was happening but was happy to chat to him every now and then and just kept drifting off - God only knows what I was chatting about as I have no memory of that other than I asked him if he’d been on holiday this year lol.  I shall want to discuss with him the nausea I had after the op though as I hadn’t expected to be so sick after a local.  It could have been due to the Morphine pump that I had after but I don’t want to be so sick again. 

Best of luck Laura and  as you say we shall both have new knees in the New Year.  Regards J x

• Posted

Hi Jay Yes! They advised me to have a spinal block I was so scared just the thought of it! This best thing ever he knew l was scared silly and also serdated me I really don't remember anything apart from being back on the ward and being offered some lunch. I felt great and certainly will be having the block again and serdation 

l had my Pre op last week and my operation is booked for the 3rd Jan l am nervous and hopefully my recovery is as smoothly as the last replacement. I didn't have morphine just pain killers but to be completely honest that was bearable discomfort. The worse part was the sleepless nights and not being able to get comfortable. I got frustrated with myself and was fed up of the ice cubes Ha! Ha! Oh! And the stinging blood clotting injections in my poor tummy. I've lived to tell another story and hopefully we can recover together Good Luck 

• Posted

I had my first one done on Feb 7, 2017 and the second one done on April 22, 2017.
    • Posted

Hi Donna

How did the recovery go for the 2nd knee? Do you think you had enough time for your first knee to heal properly before you had to rely on it with the other one being done so soon after?

Did you have them under GA or local?  Do you feel your knees are completely healed now or do you feel you still have a way to go?  I’m sorry I’m bombarding you with so many questions, I hope you don’t mind. 

Regards  J

• Posted

Recovery has been a slow process. Apparently I make scar tissue very quickly. After the 2nd operation, I had to have arthroscopic surgery on the 1st knee to remove scar tissue that was hindering my flexation. I had that done in June. Then in the 1st week of August, I had arthroscopic surgery on the other knee to remove scar tissue from it. Both arthroscopies were successful, and I returned to work the second week of August. All 4 surgeries were done under GA.  Most everything is back to normal now. Going down steps is still a little clumsy, but I believe that will improve in time. I hope I answered all your questions. I’m glad I had both knees done this close together. I wish you well with your surgeries. 
  • Posted

I had my right knee replacement in September this year. The other one needs done too but my surgeon likes to leave a year in-between to give the knee the proper time to heal x
  • Posted

I have just got out of hospital after having my other knee done and it was 10 months after the first TKR

• Posted

Both knees were done because of pain and locking my first was built up I don't see the surgeon till next month when he will tell.me what he did spinal for both awake second time sound the first time but the doctor kept asking if I was alright violently sick afterwards for 48 hours but controlled with anti sickness drip fed back home now sleeping in rise and fall chair icing regular and keeping o. Top of painkillers 2 paracetamol and 2 30grms of codeine extensions and exercuses doing them as often as I can cat naps plenty of cups if tea TLC of hubby on a scale of 1/10 pain level goes up to 8 when meds are due feeling positive my leg bends were 90 before I left hospital hubby measured with his square he says 95 so got to push tomorrow last time I went out for lunch for fish and chips so I'm looking for Xmas day meal out good luck to all and best wishes for Xmas day ???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.