Bilateral TKRs - how long in between?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had my right TKR on 10 Oct ‘17 so I am just over 7 weeks post op. PT was happy to stop Sessions (I had 3 after I left hospital) as I had achieved over 100 ROM at 6 weeks post op. I saw my Consultant at 7 weeks post op and achieved 110 ROM and do not need a stick any longer.  My problem now is with my left knee which he has put me back on the list to have replaced saying I should be in line for the op in Jan:Feb time. 

I am looking forward to getting it over and done with as want to then take time to heal properly as I know it takes a year or so to completely recover. 

I’d just like to hear from those of you who have had both knees done and what time did you leave in between ops?

Many thanks

Janette

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I did them 3 months apart, May and Sept. Had spinal for both but was sedated enough to know nothing the way I wanted it. Hindsight I should have waited longer between. The first knee done which was virtually pain free is now  more  painful than the second
    • Posted

Yes, I think that's far too quick. I needed two done too, I've had my right one done but my surgeon leaves a year in between to let you heal properly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.